Chapter Seventy-Seven

The invitations to the ball sit on the kitchen counter, Cassandra is stood against it, her back pressed to the counter top, arms folded over her chest as she ponders the ball and what might happen. She wants to have a plan. It's how she likes things. A plan in place. Everyone doing as they are told. Whilst he plans haven't always worked, she knows that they are solid and it is only ever the people that screws things up. Damon appears in the doorway, having talked to and said goodbye to Ally for now. They'll see her later anyway. There is no way she is missing the ball, not when she knows that Kol is going to be there. She just wants to be dramatic about her entrance. It's been a long time for the two of them and she has to make it count. Plus she is feeling scared. Knowing that it has been so long and she doesn't know how he is going to feel about her. Damon saw something a little more sane in Ally today. Something a lot more grounded. That worries him more than her crazed state. He's just on edge with this whole thing. All of it.

"Be careful tonight" Damon comments, Cassandra glances over her shoulder at him. "We don't know what game Sophia is playing here, or Esther's role in it"

"I know" She assures him, turning to face him. "But If Esther wants to talk to me and Elena, maybe I should find out why"

"Well that's a dumb idea, she already tried to kill you once, in fact....she did kill you once" Damon argues, Cassandra touches his arms and then draws them up to wrap her arms around his neck. She knows it was Esther's fault that Klaus did that ritual that did end her life. She knows that had Esther never cursed Klaus or the whole Original family, then there would have been no need for Klaus to come here to try and kill them all.

"Bonnie and I were led to open that coffin for a reason" She reminds him, he grumbles under his breath but nods a little. "Sophia wanted that coffin open for a reason...."

"And until we know why I hate the idea of you going any where near either of them" He brushes his nose over hers. But he knows that she has her magic and her powers to protect her and he knows her. He knows just what she is capable of. Esther is an unknown, Sophia's motives are an unknown. It worries him because they are going into this blind. She touches his cheek and he closes his eyes, letting her touch comfort him. Drawing her hand to his neck, she pushes herself up to her tiptoes to kiss him. He hums into the kiss and splays his hand on the small of her back to pull her closer to him, pressing her up against him as he deepens the kiss. He presses her back against the counter causing her to gasp into his mouth. This was not the direction she thought this was going, but she is going to enjoy it whilst he is in this mood.

.......

Damon hates that he has to leave Cassandra's bed. Whilst they both love his bigger bed, there is something more intimate about her smaller bed. It means that there is no escaping one another. He rests on his elbow as he brushes his fingers down her spine, following the line and curve of it with a smirk. She hums, her eyes closed as she enjoys his touch. These are the moments that they both love. Quiet. Peaceful. Just the two of them. It is easy to forget their trouble like this. Basking in the after glows of sex. Too blissed out to care about their troubles. But time is running out and he still has to go home and get changed before the ball.

"I have to go home" He complains as he leans over her. She hums and stretches under him. He would much rather they spend the night curled up in bed doing wonderfully naughty things to one another. But he has to get changed for tonight and she needs time to get dressed too. He really doesn't want to leave her though. He brushes her hair back from her face as she smiles softly, snuggling into her pillow. "Do you want me to pick you up?"

"No, Elena and I are going to go together" She assures him. "To show a unified front...."

"And are you unified?" She pulls a face. She's not sure where she stands with Elena any more. They promised Jeremy that they would try and be civil, and she is trying, but it muddles her thoughts and feelings on Elena. She is still so angry over what happened. But tired of it too. She wishes it was as simple as just forgetting and forgiving what happened, but she can't.

"For now" She offers, he hums and then leans closer to kiss her shoulder. She hums happily and closes her eyes as he moves his lips to her neck and then her cheek where he lingers a moment before he pulls back. He really hates to go when she's looking like that. She turns over and watches as he battles himself on this. His primal brain wanting him to stay but the logical side telling him he has to go. He lets out a long breath through his nose.

"Once more before I go" She laughs a little and touches his chest, pushing at him.

"We don't have time" She argues as he leans over her again, pinning her wrists above her head.

"All I have to do is get dressed and you have magic" He counters and smirks down at her. "I've seen you change your clothes with a wave of your hand...." She sighs over dramatically and then shrugs.

"Fine. If you must" She comments and he lowers his head to attach his lips to her neck. She smiles and curls her fingers into her palm with a soft sigh.

A/N - I AM GOING TO PUT ALLY AND CAS' BALL DRESSES HERE, NOW, JUST SO IT DOESN'T TAKE UP TOO MUCH SPACE AT THE BEGINNING OF THE NEXT CHAPTER. 

CAS:

ALLY:

ALLY: