Chapter Seven

Athena's POV

"Hold it right there!" I heard someone say as I felt the stranger's grip loosen around my neck as he continued to stare at me in shock. He then looked around and the next thing I knew he had darted out of bed and was running out of the room. Kara and I chased after him along with some of the guards.

"Don't move!" One of them called out.

"Freeze!" Said another. Not that it did any good.

*Time Skip*

"I sure picked the wrong time
to get rid of all my Kryptonite," J'onn said several minutes later as we surveyed the broken glass. "You all right?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine, just
a little shaken. Where is he?" Kara replied.

"He disappeared into the city," Alex said.

"Which is just what I don't need. A rogue Kryptonian on the loose just as the President is due for a visit," J'onn said.

"Wait, the President
is coming here?" I said perking up.

"Yeah, she wants to tour the DEO
while she's in National City to sign the Alien Amnesty Act," Alex said as Kara and I held hands and squealed in excitement.

"It's amazing, an executive order
allowing aliens on Earth to come out of the shadows and live as
full citizens. She's making history," Kara said as I fangirled over the idea of running into the President.

"Not in my book, I think
she's making a big mistake," J'onn said.

"Now, how can you
of all people say that?" I heard Kara say. I kept my mouth shut but I could tell J'onn was struggling with the concept of the Amnesty Act and I could understand where he was coming from. I honestly was confused myself. I had no way of knowing if I was actually human or actually some alien who had been abandoned on earth. And I was too scared to look into the matter further at the moment.

"Because it's been my hard experience
that humans and aliens don't mix," J'onn replied.

"What about you and me?"

"What about us? We can look like them,
we blend in, a lot of aliens can't. And people in this world don't have much
tolerance for others who look different. I say that as an alien and as someone who's worn the face of a black man for 15 years," J'onn explained.

"J'onn's right," Alex said. "I can count the number of good aliens I know on one hand, with two fingers to spare."

"Well, I'm just glad the President
doesn't see things the way you two do," Kara said as she glanced at me. She already knew I shared her take on it.

"Well, you be sure to tell
her that when you meet her," Alex said.

"What?"

"She expects National City's highest-profile
alien to greet her on the tarmac," Alex clarified.

"I'm meeting the President?" Kara stuttered. I grinned at her though I felt a little jealous.

"Unless you're too nervous to do so," Alex teased.

"Nervous? No. Me? I'm not...No, I'm not nervous. No, it's... nervous? Yeah, yes,
yeah, I'm really nervous. I'm nervous! It's the President," Kara stammered.

"You'll be representing this entire organization. I expect you'll be professional," J'onn said with a smile.

"Yes."

"And for the record, she's the one who's lucky to meet you."

"Thanks. Should I get a blow out?" I giggled as J'onn rolled his eyes and walked away.