Chapter Twenty

Athena's POV

"Perce, Athena, I'm sure glad you're alive," Grover said when Percy and I finally woke up.

"Where are we? What is this place?" I asked.

"The infirmary. You've been unconscious for three days."

"Three days?" Percy said shocked.

"So, Perce, what do you remember?" Grover said.

"Some crazy dream. I don't know. There was a monster. My mom was there. You were there, too, but you were some weird hybrid man-goat thing!" I giggled.

"Yeah. The politically correct term is Satyr!" Grover said miffed as he showed Percy his legs.

"No. No, no, no, no! All of it was real? My mom's gone?"

"I'm sorry, Percy. I try, man, I really do. But, frankly, I'm just a junior protector.
I don't have my horns yet. It was my fault. It was my job to protect you. All three of you."

We both shrugged it off and stood up, letting Grover lead us out of the infirmary.

"So this is Camp Half Blood," he said as we followed him down a series of steps.

"Half" meaning what?" Percy asked.

"I think you know. "Half" meaning "half mortal, half god." Grover explained. I remembered what he had said earlier so I wasn't quite as shocked as Percy, who seemed to have forgotten everything already.

"Fire!" I stepped back as we almost got hit by several arrows.

"Guys! Watch the arrows!" Grover complained. Newcomer! Hello! Look, man, remember all the myths about Greek gods and goddesses?Well, they're not myths. Look, remember what Mr. Brunner said? Sometimes they come down to Earth and they fall in love with mortals? And then they have kids?" I could barely believe it but the evidence was right in front of my face, so I had no choice but to believe it.

"No way!" Percy said.

"Yes way. Yep, you're a demigod! Two points for Percy Jackson! 3 points for Athena!" I smiled at the affronted look on Percy's face when he realized I got an extra point. I giggled as I nudged his side and stuck my tongue out.

"Look, don't worry. But you're not alone. There's hundreds in the world. Some lead normal lives, and some, I'm not allowed to divulge their names, are very famous. I'm talking about, like, White House famous. See, man, this place right here, this is the place where you'll learn to harness your powers. You'll train to become leaders, warriors and heroes.

"I think you have the wrong guy, all right? I'm not a hero like Athena, or should I say, Thunderbolt!" Percy said. I frowned not liking what he said but being able to relate. "I'm a loser. I have dyslexia, ADHD." Really? So did I!

"And those are your greatest gifts. When you try to read, the words float off the page, right? That's because your brain is hardwired for Ancient Greek, not English."

"Like at the museum, I could read." I had no idea what they were talking about but figured I could ask Percy later.

"Yeah. And your ADHD? You're impulsive. You can't be still! Those are your natural battle reflexes! They kept you alive when you fight. Look, no pitiful loser can defeat a Minotaur. Your blood is special. It's the blood of a god." Hmm I wonder which God was my parent though I had a pretty good idea who mine was considering my powers. There was only one real answer that would make logical sense.

"This is a lot to process," I said.

"Yeah, a lot. A lot," Percy added.

"This is where you'll do most of your battle training," Grover said as he lead us onto a training field.