Chapter Ten

Athena's POV

I laughed harder than I had in a long time as I watched Winn and James defend the guardian from Kara's comments. She did NOT seem to be taking the guardian very seriously. I mean it was clear she appreciated the help but she had a lot to say about the gadgets and voice changer he had to use. I know I was helping James and Winn with their project so I should probably have felt upset by her comments but honestly I just found them hilarious. Winn and James sat there glaring at me as I laughed my ass off.

*Time Skip*

"We are screwed. Do you hear what they're saying, dude?" Winn said after he had dragged me and James out of Snapper's office.

"You need to calm down."

"I cannot calm down!"

"You have gone from National City's golden boy to Public Enemy Number One in a matter of hours! Okay. Everything we've built is coming down, man."

"Just keep your voice down. Take a breath. Now. Okay?"

"Okay."

"First and foremost, and most importantly, I didn't kill that guy."

"Dude. They've got you on tape."

"It wasn't me!"

"Well, it's on tape, all right? And if they find you, they find me. I'm your accomplice. I can't survive in prison! I've seen every season of Oz. We gotta shut this Guardian thing down right now." I kept my mouth shut. I was just there to help as back up most times the whole guardian thing had been James and Winn's idea I wasn't going to step in and make any decisions for them but things were definitely not looking good for James.

"No! No. We are not shutting this down because some gun nut wants to use us as a smoke screen. Okay, not when we're making a difference. I mean, come on."

"Well, how are we supposed to make a difference in jail?"

"Look. You have to trust me, okay?"

*Time Skip*

I groaned as I sat up and felt my head. I had clearly been knocked out but by what? I had no idea. I looked around to find that I had been locked in a cage with Kara and Mon-El. I opened my mouth to say something when Mon-El motioned for me to stay quiet as he pointed over to Kara , who was standing by the fence talking to someone who looked exactly like J'onn. From the gist of their conversation, I gathered that this must be the real Hank Henshaw that J'onn had been impersonating.

"Mon-El," Kara said when she was done talking to Hank.

"Are you okay?" I asked as I groaned and sat up straighter.

"Now I know how the bad guys feel when I pummel them. Yeah, I'm okay," Kara said.

"They captured J'onn, too," Mon-El said as he glanced at me to check if I was alright. Other than a splitting head ache I seemed to be ok.

"That wasn't J'onn. Remember I once told you J'onn assumed the identity of a human? That's the human, Hank Henshaw. Only they enhanced him somehow," Kara informed him.

"They tricked me," Mon-El said with a frown.

"The bars are made from Nth metal from Thanagar. They're unbreakable. So, what is this place? Who are these people?" Mon-El asked while me and Kara were busy trying to break the bars. Kara was trying her brute strength while I was trying to summon lightning but it didn't seem to be working.

"It's called Cadmus. It's run by scientists who want to wipe aliens off the face of the planet."

"News just gets better by the second. So what? I'm the, uh, the lucky first contestant?"