PROLOGUE

Tayow

———————

Hindi magsisimula ang kuwento without its start, so as part of the story, let me tell you how it ends. Seriously, this is the ending.

Tossing my one penny while walking in the NYC's wet pavement alongside the pine trees filled and coated with the freezing snow. Matagal-tagal na rin noong nakapagsuot ako ng winter scarf around my neck.

First snow of winter in the US, I'm heading back to my apartment before cold creeps inside of me in this street.

Buti na lang I prepared for the snow as I've seen those kids heading to their school; walking distance. Before heading back, I shall go to the place according to the text message I’ve received.

It has been three weeks and my contact to lola and the people I left from the Philippine is still constant. Day and night, every free time, just a chitchat. High school has plenty of free times, especially in this place where being adventurous and curious is truly appreciated.

I walked and enjoy every time the winter breeze touches my face as the NYC’s street buzzing with horn of cars in a busy mobility, still tossing my one penny. I closed my eyes and feel every drop of snow with my brown cozy armani sweater and scarf.

“A-Ack!” a voice of a girl I bumped accidentally, I opened my eyes and saw her hand on her forehead wearing her bonnet. My one penny fell to the pavement. I knelt down gently and pinned a single knee on the ground, and picked up the tossed coin.

“Ano ba 'yan hindi tumitingin sa dinaraanan,” she complained while mumbling something in Tagalog, she even brushed her leathered coat frustratedly.

A Pinay schoolgirl, I bumped, wearing her full winter clothes.

Slowly I held my head up and stood.

“You showed up late!” I said in complain.

“Anong late? Hello, it's 10:46 AM pa lang!”

“Ang usapan exact 10:35 AM. Damn Filipino time! Nasa US ka na okay, make your time a little adjusted?” I scoffed and blew smoke from my mouth when I managed to lecture her crossing my arms.

“Ang sakit kaya ng pagkakabunggo mo sa noo ko. Tsk!” She pouted after complaining.

“I never thought you would show up!”

“Hah? Ako, hindi sisipot? Ang sama naman ng impression mo sa akin. Hindi pa ako familiar sa lugar na ito, pero hello! Ako ‘to!”  She rolled her eyes while crossing her arms. The doubled winter clothes made her position uncomfortable and made her look bigger in those in a constant Pinay built.

I smirked, when I realized her shaky dry lips while talking, “Nilalamig ka, aren't you?”

“Y-Yeah,” still shaking.

That's normal kapag hindi nakasanayan ang panahon dito.

I abruptly took off my scarf and encircled it around her neck to double the scarf she has already.

“I remember when you left.” I pouted, trying to be cute as we stopped walking in front of a glass wall coffee shop.

“I remember kung anong sinabi ko sa'yo noon.” She rubbed her arms to heated up, and pouted too, looking up through her lashes in her freezing voice.