Chapter 14

Domestic violence/ rape/ assault trigger warning

I lay in bed with Jeremy and Anya sleeping in the next room. I couldn't get Zach off my mind. I started to wonder what he would do to me if he found me. Would he hit me again? Would he trick me into coming back to him? Would I go? Would he kill me?

 I think back to that day, the last day I saw him, the day I barely escaped with my life. It was the day I decided that enough was enough. I won't say I was strong that day because if I am being honest with myself, I debated going back to him. It's what a physical, emotional, and mentally abusive relationship will do. I am glad that I can I will call myself a survivor

I had decided to move to Cali for like 2 months before starting college. I was bright-eyed and 18 years old. That same summer is when I met him in California. We fell in love all too quickly. He was Puerto Rican, about 6'2 with tattoos everywhere, dark greenish-brown eyes, and a smile that could eat your heart out.

 When the hitting started, I would get showered with gifts, love, and empty promises that It wouldn't happen again. And for a while, it stopped, it really did. Until the day I finally left.

I feel like what we confused for love was lust and longing to be wanted by someone.

Someone had finally picked me. The girl who has never felt wanted in her entire life was finally picked. And I fell hard.

I take up the positive pregnancy test and hide it in the drawer of his apartment on his side of the bed. He lived on the 23rd floor, and the view was amazing. It was our inside joke that he was 23 and lived on the 23rd floor.

 I was so excited to tell him about the pregnancy. I couldn't wait until he got home that night. He was out with the boys for one of their bachelor parties. I wasn't really sure which one, nor did I care.

I hung around the house for hours before he came home. By the time he got home, I had fallen asleep. When I finally heard the door open, I checked the time to see it was about 2:30 in the morning. 

I was half asleep so I didn't move as he stumbled in drunk slurring his words. I hear something fall over and break. I look up realizing he had tripped over the chair in the room bringing the lamp down with him. I quickly move off the bed to help him up but he shrugs me off.

"I can do it!" He yells. 

The way he yelled at me triggered me a little bit so I quickly oblige to go sit on the edge of the bed. I make sure to watch him so I can make sure he doesn't hurt himself. I wouldn't want to make a drunk person mad so I keep my distance. I watch him as he moves to stand while looking around the room. His eyes stop as they lock on me.

"Mmhmm" he laughs, "how did I get so lucky," he says walking over to me placing a kiss on my lips, and then moving down to my neck.

"Zach stop, your drunk." I say pushing him off with a small laugh."Come on let's get you to bed baby," I said trying to step away.