90. the last war

The five of us ran as fast as we possibly could, on edge and prepared for whatever we were about to walk into. 

Bellamy remained close behind me as we followed after the other three, it was evident he wasn't going to let me out of his sight. 

As we neared the battlefield, the sound of sporadic gunfire filled the air...someone was shooting. 

We all came to a halting stop, waiting for a moment in order to try and decipher what was happening. Octavia rose her hand, signalling for all of us to fall quiet.

It was Indra's voice that carried through the forest and met our ears. "WHO FIRED? NO ONE RESPOND!"

Any efforts to keep this battle without bloodshed had seemingly failed. The war had started. 

Levitt took off first, pushing past the rest of us as he sprinted toward the battlefield, desperate to stop it from going any further. 

Octavia followed after him, Echo, Bellamy and I after her. "Levitt, slow down!" She pleaded, but he didn't listen.

"DON'T SHOOT!" He screamed, rushing from the safety of the forest and directly into the battlefield. 

I felt my heart dip slightly as he tore off his gun, setting it down as an act of peace. 

The rest of us froze just past the treeline, too hesitant to move any further out of cover. Bellamy's hand gripped onto mine as we watched Levitt raise his hands in front of him.

"HOLD!" Indra yelled to Wonkru, the leader of the Disciples doing the same. 

Levitt looked to both sides, his face tight in uncertainty. This could either go well, or it could end in his death. I prayed it was the former. 

"This is not the last war!" He shouted, walking back and forth, addressing both sides. "We don't achieve Transcendence through violence! Cadogan was wrong. We're being tested right now, all of us! Put down your weapons, please! We can all survived together. We can--"

A bullet cut off Levitt's words, driving through his torso and splattering his white uniform in red. 

I wasn't sure where it had come from, who had fired it. But it didn't really matter. What did matter, was that the battle had broken out once again. 

Bellamy yanked me back toward the forest, Octavia and Echo ducking into cover as well. 

"Levitt's hit!" I screamed over the noise, unsure if the others had seen what I had. 

Octavia stood up slightly from where she had been crouching, and without so much as a word she had taken off into the battlefield where Levitt lay bleeding out.

"TAVIA!" My scream tore through my throat, coming from a dark place of terror. She couldn't get him back here alone, not without getting hit. 

In seconds, I had torn myself free from Bellamy's grasp, following after Octavia.

"AVERY!" Bellamy's scream mirrored that of mine moments earlier. His held more fear, more panic. Because he had two people he cared for out there. The two girls he'd sworn to protect. 

"Indra, cover me!" Octavia shouted over the loud sound of gunfire.

My gun bounced off my thighs as I ran, praying that no bullet would hit either one of us. They were empty prayers, knowing there was no one looking out for us anymore. I had known that for years. 

The two of us managed to reach Levitt unscathed, and in an instant had dropped to our knees next to him. As I turned my head slightly, I saw Bellamy rushing after us...of course he had followed.