Year 1.2*

Revised: June 13, 2021

I had already made some of the changes about a month ago, but then I decided to just redo the whole chapter.

——————————

"— packed with Muggles, of course —" a woman's voice exclaimed.

Harry whipped his head around, seeing a family of six redheads. He let out a resigned sigh. First Hagrid, now this strange woman. Did anyone know what subtlety was? Shouting about Muggles in front of Muggles — even if people were oblivious most of the time — was not a very smart thing to do.

He watched as they stopped not far from him.

"Now, what's the platform number?" said the woman.

"Nine and three-quarters!" piped a small girl, also red-headed, who was holding her hand, "Mum, can't I go... "

"You're not old enough, Ginny, now be quiet. All right, Percy, you go first."

The eldest boy marched toward platforms nine and ten. Harry watched as he ran straight toward the barrier and — disappeared. Well, that was odd. And how could the mother not know what the platform was? Unless she was quizzing her kids or something.

"Fred, you next," the plump woman said to a pair of identical boys.

"He's not Fred, I am," the second twin said.

"Honestly, woman, you call yourself our mother?" the first one said.

"Oh, I'm sorry, George."

The boy got into position. "Only joking, I am Fred," he said before disappearing.

Harry waited until they had all gone through before getting in position. Hoping he succeeded and didn't crash into the barrier like an idiot, he briskly walked forward. A moment later, he emerged on the other side, blinking.

There it was, the Hogwarts Express. He made it! Grinning a little, Harry began searching for an empty seat.

He found one near the end and tried to lift his trunk up with no success.

"Want a hand?" It was one of the twins.

"Yes, please."

With the extra help, Harry was able to lift his trunk and put it up. "Thanks," he said, wiping his hair out of his face.

"Blimey," said the other twin. "Are you —"

"He is," said the first twin. "Aren't you?" he added to Harry.

"What?" said Harry.

"Harry Potter, "chorused the twins.

"Unfortunately."

The twins gawked at him. Harry felt his face heat up.

"Fred? George? Are you there?"

"Coming, Mom!"

"Wait!" Harry said. "Can you do me a favor and not tell anyone?"

The boys looked confused.

"I — I don't like the attention," Harry explained.

The two redheads grinned. "Don't worry, mate."

"Won't tell a soul."

Harry nodded, relieved, even though he had a feeling they were at least tempted to ignore his words. He quickly went to sit down before anyone else noticed.

Fred and George were left staring at the spot Harry had been a moment ago. "Blimey," Fred whispered. "It was really him!" He was quite small, too, even for a first-year.