Year 4.13

Hello, people.

(By the way, has anyone noticed how unnatural some words look when they're spelled out? People is definitely one of those words.)

Anygay, on with the ball!

"You ready, Harry?" Terry asked.

"Yeah, I think so."

"Don't worry. I'm sure that she'll think you look great."

Everyone, and I mean everyone, assumed that Harry had found a girl to go with. While the presumption was understandable, it still irritated him just a little bit.

Ever since it got out that Harry had found someone, people have been observing the girls, particularly in Ravenclaw, to see if they would say or do anything that would give them away. But it became apparent that none of them were Harry's date.

As Harry headed to the Great Hall, he could hear people whispering in hushed voices. Some took note that he was alone.

"Where's his date?"

"Maybe she's not ready yet. You know how girls are."

Harry spotted the Slytherins being led by Draco Malfoy, who looked handsome in black velvet robes, and Pansy Parkinson, who wore frilly pink robes and clung to Draco's arm. Draco caught Harry's eye and mouthed, Help me.

Harry grinned and shook his head to say, You're on your own. He received a wordless Fuck you in return.

"There you are, Harry," said Fred from behind.

Harry turned and smiled at him. "I was beginning for wonder when you'd get here."

Fred grinned. Like most of his things, his robes were hand-me-downs, but they fit him well. "Well, I'm here. So, are you ready to scare the pants off everyone?"

Harry rolled his eyes. "Why am I not surprised to see you looking forward to that, of all things?"

"Well... there is one other thing."

"And that is?"

Fred grinned, looking somewhat nervous. "You'll see."

Harry pouted slightly before turning to look at the other champions. Fleur was with Roger Davies, who seemed to be captivated by her mere presence, Cedric was with Cho, and Hermione stood with Krum, her usually bushy hair in a sleek and shiny bun.

"Champions, over here, please!" Professor McGonagall called.

Both Fred and Harry made their way over to her. They could hear the whispers getting louder as they realized who Harry's mystery date was.

"Weasley?" Parkinson sneered from where she stood with Draco. "Potter's going with him?"

"Obviously," Draco drawled, unsurprised. Everyone else may have been oblivious, but he had often noticed Fred stealing glances at Harry.

"I didn't know Harry was gay," someone else said.

"Why him? He hardly has any money!"

Harry bristled at that one.

Even Professor McGonagall was stunned to see them (apparently, Flitwick had been right), though she didn't say anything. The doors opened and the students walked in. Once settled, Professor McGonagall had the champions in line behind her and follow her. The audience applauded as they made their way to where the judges sat.

"So this is the mysterious person you went with," Hermione said to Harry, not sounding particularly surprised.

"Yes," he said.

"Well, I think you both look good together," Hermione said before turning back to Krum.

While they ate, Harry made light conversation with Fred and tried to ignore the eyes that flickered over to them between words.

Fleur was criticizing the decorations to Roger, but he seemed to be too entranced to be able to hold a proper conversation.

Hermione had started trying to teach Krum how to say her name. "Her-my-oh-nee," she said slowly and clearly.

"Herm-own-ninny."

"Close enough."

When everyone was finished eating, Dumbledore moved the tables off to the sides and raised a platform for the Weird Sisters to perform.

Fred held out a hand. "Shall we?"

Harry blushed and took it. Fred's other hand went around his waist and he began to lead them.

It didn't go too badly; in fact, Harry found himself enjoying the dance. Fred moved with a grace that Harry had not known for him to have and kept his eyes on him. Harry, never one to be good at eye contact, let his gaze roam around the other dancers.

Neville and Luna waltzed by; Luna didn't seem to know or care that he kept stepping on her feet. Dumbledore and Madame Maxime were also together; Harry didn't know how they managed with such a height difference. Moody and Professor Sinistra were dancing together, though the latter seemed nervous about the wooden leg.

"Not too bad of a dancer," Fred teased. "I was worried I would have to pick some protective charms on my shoes."

"You're so mean, you know that?" Harry said.

"But of course. I don't go around handing out flowers to everyone I meet."

"No, you just give them canary creams."

Fred chuckled, remembering how Neville had accidentally eaten one and turned into a canary for a minute. "Guilty."

They continued to dance, lost in each other's presence, and- cliche as this may sound- forgot everyone around them.

George was grinning as he watched his brother with Harry. They were so in love, yet so oblivious. Maybe that Muggle phrase, Love is blind, has some truth to it after all.

"You knew, didn't you?" Angelina said.

"Mm-hm. Did you?"

"I suspected something was distracting him."

Snape was not surprised to see Harry and Fred walk into the Great Hall together. In one of the sixth year classes, he had had them identify a few potions, including Amortentia. George had nudged Fred and whispered something about Harry. Fred had blushed and shoved his brother, clearly embarrassed. Snape could harbor a guess as to what he had smelled.

Not far from the potions master, Professor Flitwick looked up at McGonagall smugly and cleared his throat.

McGonagall sighed and handed him two Galleons.

And Dumbledore had that all-knowing expression on his face.

Draco was also watching Harry. The only reason he really wanted to come was to make sure Fred didn't pull any stunts on him. He was glad to see that, as troublesome as Fred may be, he was serious about wanting Harry. And Draco knew that Black and Lupin would have already threatened him if he hurt Harry. But as one of Harry's best friends, Draco was obligated to do the same.

So when the lovesick couple came and sat down next to him, Draco grabbed Fred by the collar of his robes and said in a low voice, "You better take good fucking care of my friend, you hear me?"

Fred nodded vigorously, eyes wide.

Draco released him and straightened up. "See you later, Harry."

Harry laughed at Fred's expression. "Hey, what do you know. Draco approves of you."

Who doesn't like protective Draco?

So the thing with the Amortentia was based off of Half-Blood Prince, as you probably had guessed, when Slughorn had it made to be identified. I don't know if Snape would have done the same, but it's fanfiction. May as well have fun with it