Year 3.9

I'm updating today and tomorrow because yeep

Over the course of the month, Harry practiced the Patronus Charm with Remus. He could produce the shadow but grew frustrated as nothing else happened.

"You're expecting too much of yourself," said Remus. "For a thirteen-year-old wizard, even an indistinct Patronus is a huge achievement. You aren't feeling too bad anymore, are you?"

"No, but isn't a Patronus supposed to drive Dementors away?"

"The true Patronus does, yes. But you've achieved a great deal in a very short space of time. If the Dementors put in an appearance at the next Quidditch match, you will be able to keep them at bay long enough to get away. Here- you've earned yourself a drink. Something from the Three Broomsticks. You won't have tried it before-"

He pulled two bottles out of his briefcase.

"Butterbeer!" said Harry, nose wrinkling. "Yeah, I've tried it."

Remus raised an eyebrow.

"Don't worry, I didn't sneak out," Harry said. "But Draco brought some in." And he refused to leave until he had.

"And what did you think?"

"Not the worst thing I've drank. But a bit too sweet for my liking."

Remus shook his head. "A Potter that doesn't like Quidditch or Butterbeer," he said in mock horror. "I must be in another universe."

"Hey!" Harry punched his arm lightly. "That's mean."

Remus laughed as Harry pouted. "Sorry."

They drank in silence. Harry decided that he liked this version better; Draco seemed to really like Butterbeer when it was at least half sugar.

"Ravenclaw's playing Gryffindor," Harry spoke up.

"Yes, they are."

"We're totally going to win."

"Yeah, right. Not that I'm supposed to take sides, as a teacher... " Remus added hastily.

"Uh huh. You, a former Gryffindor, is not secretly hoping that they will win."

"Hush, you."

Despite his frustrations with the Patronus Charm, Harry had enjoyed his time with Remus. The man was not any different than how his parents had described him: strict yet funny, especially with Sirius as an influence, an extreme bookworm much like Harry. Remus seemed like a shy person back in school, but he cracked plenty of witty comebacks and jokes under his breath that would get the other Marauders laughing at seemingly nothing.

"The twins are still begging me about you Marauders," Harry grumbled.

"Really? I wonder why." Harry gave him a deadpanned look, making him laugh. "When did they give it to you again?" Remus asked.

"Before going off to Hogsmeade. Early Christmas gift." For some reason, the memory made Harry's face flush slightly.

Remus looked at him. "Any particular reason why you're blushing?"

Harry's cheeks went even redder. "No?"

"Hm."

"What do you mean by that?"

Remus deliberately took his time taking another few sips of his Butterbeer before answering. "It seems to me that you like at least one of the twins."

"Of course I do," Harry said, puzzled. "They're my friends."

"But you want them to be more than that."

"You mean like- like you and Sirius?"

"Exactly."

"But I don't even like boys! I think," Harry added more uncertainly.

"There's nothing wrong if you do," Remus said. "Hello, you're talking to a bisexual werewolf here!"

"Bisexu-? And I know there's nothing wrong with that. But the Dursleys hate anything freaky, and if they even thought I liked boys..." He trailed off and suddenly seemed really interested in his Butterbeer.

Remus frowned. "Harry," he said, "they don't... hurt you, do they?" He had been meaning to ask, but the topic never cropped up.

Harry shook his head. "No. Well, not really. I mean, Uncle Vernon would throw me into the cupboard whenever I did something wrong, but that's normal, right? To punish your children when they misbehave?"

"Putting a child in a cupboard is not something I'd do as punishment," Remus said dryly. "And what is your definition of misbehaving?"

"Well, one time, Dudley ate several cookies and said that I ate them," Harry recalled. "Aunt Petunia got really mad at me."

"Your cousin lied," Remus growled.

"Yeah, but I'm used to it. Don't worry about it."

Far from placating the werewolf, Harry's words fueled his anger. "You cannot go back there," Remus said.

"But Professor Dumbledore said-"

"Fuck what Dumbledore said," Remus broke in. "I don't care. There is no excuse for him to put a child back in an abusive home. None."

Harry stared at him, unwilling to hope but unable to stop it from rising in his chest. "Really?"

"Yes. And we'll start by locating Sirius and getting him proven innocent."

Yeah... next chapter should be better