Year 2.3*

Revised: December 28, 2021 (if you can even call this a true revision since I've barely changed anything)

——————————

Life at the Burrow was much different than life at Privet Drive, but Harry embraced it. Here, he was not expected to finish more chores than physically possible ("Are you sure, Harry? George can manage it."), not expected to cook the meals — though he did enjoy it when it was for people that he didn't hate — not expected to eat just everyone's leftovers — in fact, Mrs. Weasley went about her way to make sure Harry had an extra large portion.

"You're so skinny!" she would fret.

"Are you sure that's all you want?" she would ask when Harry had only eaten two servings.

Every time this happened, Harry would catch a glimpse of guilt in the twins' eyes before they looked away.

Without homework and Philosopher's Stones to distract him, Harry found he quite liked everyone there. Fred and George, who spent much of their time exploding things in their bedroom, were an absolute delight. Ron's chess skills proved to be superior to everyone, and despite his old Shooting Star not being a high-quality broomstick, Harry thought he'd make a good Quidditch player.

Even Ginny was all right. Now that she had gotten over her initial awe over him being under the same roof as her, she rarely spoke and instead just kept her head low. Sometimes, Harry would try to strike up a conversation, which usually ended up one-sided as she would nod or shake her head or knock something over.

As the twins had stated, Percy spent most of his time in his room for some reason. The twins remarked how they couldn't figure out why; it was almost as if Percy didn't exist!

Arthur Weasley, who Harry met after de-gnoming the garden, was also excited to see him, and sat down on Harry's other side to ask questions about the Muggle world.

"What is the function of a rubber duck?" he asked at one time.

Harry began questioning his very existence right then and there.

But it was a much better change to the Dursleys.

A week later, they received letters with their school supplies.

SECOND YEAR STUDENTS WILL REQUIRE:

The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 2 by Miranda Goshawk

Break with a Banshee by Gilderoy Lockhart

Gadding with Ghouls by Gilderoy Lockhart

Holidays with Hags by Gilderoy Lockhart

Travels with Trolls by Gilderoy Lockhart

Voyages with Vampires by Gilderoy Lockhart

Wanderings with Werewolves by Gilderoy Lockhart

Year with the Yeti by Gilderoy Lockhart

"You, too?" Fred said, peering over Harry's shoulder. "The new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher must be a fan — a witch."

"That lot won't come cheap," George remarked. "Lockhart's books are really expensive..."

"Well, we'll manage," said Mrs. Weasley, but she looked worried. "I expect we'll be able to pick up a lot of Ginny's things secondhand."

"Oh, are you starting at Hogwarts this year?" Harry asked her.

Ginny nodded, face going as red as her hair, and put her elbow in the butter dish. Luckily for her, Percy's arrival brought everyone's attention away from this.