Year 1.8*

Revised: June 20, 2022

The entire first year is just... so rushed and too much tell and not enough show. So here we are again!

(This was written in one sitting, but I feel better about it than before, so yeah.)

——————————

For the rest of the holidays, Harry kept himself busy. Doing what, he didn't know, but it didn't matter. As long as he did not think about that mirror, he'd be fine.

Honestly.

Harry absentmindedly turned the page without seeing the words. He had been trying to get some studying done, knowing that homework would be piling up again before long, but still his mind wandered.

"You okay?"

Harry raised his head. Ron stood at the end of the table, watching him. "Um, yeah. I'm fine. Honest," he added when Ron just looked skeptical.

"If you say so. I overheard Fred and George talking. They're worried about you."

"Why?"

Ron looked surprised. "You're friends, aren't you?"

"Course we are. But..." Harry trailed off, unsure of how to proceed.

Thankfully, Ron seemed to take the hint. "You want a chocolate frog?" He removed one from his pocket. "I still have some from Christmas."

"Madam Pince doesn't like it when there's food in the library," Harry pointed out.

Ron shrugged. "Then just don't open it until you leave."

"Eh, I was about to head back to the common room anyway." Harry accepted it and gathered his things. They walked out together. "So what were your brothers saying?" He knew Fred wouldn't have given away too many details on purpose, but he could've let something slip out.

"Just that you looked distracted. And tired." Ron cast Harry a sidelong glance. "And I don't usually agree with them, but they have a point."

Harry let out a small sigh. "I guess." He went ahead and began eating the chocolate frog. "Dumbledore again," he muttered around a mouthful. He flipped the card over even though he had already read it.

"Yeah, he's pretty popular," said Ron. "The more difficult ones are — oh!"

He was staring at the card with wide eyes.

Harry blinked. "What?"

Ron jumped. "Nothing. I just remembered something."

"Er..."

"Bye! Enjoy the chocolate frog!" Ron took off before Harry could respond.

He blinked again. What in the world? He looked down at the card.

Oh. Nicholas Flamel's name was mentioned on the back. Shoot.

As soon as Hermione returned to the castle at the end of the holidays, Ron dragged her aside.

"I found Nicholas Flamel!"

Hermione gasped. "Where?"

"On the back of a chocolate frog card of Dumbledore," said Ron. "I gave one to Harry and saw his name on the back. Something about dragon blood and alchemy..."