Year 5.12

Y'all, this fic ranked Number 1 in the tag #harrypotter for a short period of time (it isn't anymore). As in, the tag that arguably has the most stories with it in the HP fandom. Wow.

BOOM!

Harry nearly leapt out of his seat as the very floor seemed to shudder underneath him.

"What the —?" Luna looked around in amazement. "What was that?"

"Guess," said Harry, and Luna's confused expression lifted. "Let's go see what they were doing."

"Those two nearly gave me a heart attack!" she muttered as she followed.

Out in the corridors, Harry saw that fireworks had been released. Professor Malfoy cast Stupefy at one of them, but it only exploded, blasting a hole in one of the nearby paintings.

Harry laughed. "I'm gonna go find them," he told Luna, who nodded, transfixed by the bright colors.

Harry ran to where he knew the twins would be hiding: behind a tapestry a little way along the corridor.

"Impressive as always," Harry said, grinning.

"Cheers," whispered George, wiping tears of laughter from his face. "Oh, I hope he tries Vanishing them next... they multiply by ten every time you try."

The professors, for once, didn't seem to mind the havoc the twins had wreaked. In fact, whenever a stray firework made its way into their classroom, the first thing they did was summon the headmaster. Lucius was furious.

That night, Harry dreamed again. This time, he was reaching for something he so desperately wanted — no, needed — but then a firecracker went off and his dormmates were clambering out of bed to take a better look.

The next day, he headed down for his next Occlumency lesson, determined to do better this time, only for Draco to come running in.

"Professor Snape, sir — oh — sorry —"

"It's all right, Draco. What is it?"

"It's Father — I mean, Professor Malfoy, sir — he needs your help," said Draco. "They've found Montague, sir, he's turned up jammed inside a toilet on the fourth floor."

"How did he get in there?" demanded Snape.

Draco shrugged. "I don't know, sir, he's a bit confused."

"Very well, very well. Harry," said Snape, "we shall resume this lesson tomorrow evening."

Snape left the office. Draco glanced at Harry in confusion before following.

Harry stood there, feeling awkward. His eyes strayed over to the Pensieve. What memories swirled beneath the silvery surface? Snape's time in school when he didn't get along with the Marauders? Moments with Lily before they fell out? For whatever reason?

He found himself walking near it but still staying a respectful distance away.

"Harry?" Snape was at the door.

Harry jumped back guiltily. He hadn't realized how much time had passed. "Sorry. I was just thinking."

Snape moved closer. "About?"

"Your memories," Harry admitted, somewhat sheepish. "Just what you put in the Pensieve. I know it's not my place to pry," he added quickly.

"It's of when your mother broke off her friendship with me," Snape told him.

Harry winced. Okay, so he had been kind of close. "What exactly happened, if I may ask?"

Snape didn't answer for a long moment. At one point, he probably would have gladly told Harry if it meant tarnishing his view on James, but now he wasn't sure.

Looking into Harry's earnest gaze, Snape relented.

"Sirius Black!" Harry called into the mirror.

A moment later, his godfather's face appeared. "Harry, hey. What's wrong?"

"I wouldn't say anything's wrong," Harry began awkwardly, only to break off as Remus plopped down next to Sirius.

"Hello, Harry. What's up?"

"Hi. I just wanted to talk... about my dad. James, I mean."

"What about James?" Sirius said.

"Professor Snape told me about the time he and Mother fell out."

A tense silence fell between them.

"Yes, it isn't a good memory for any of us, least of all Severus," Remus said quietly.

Harry scoffed. "You think? You ganged up on him because you were bored. Couldn't you have come up with something else? I mean, you know how to make a complicated map of the school. Finding something to do should be a piece of cake."

"I'm not proud of it," said Sirius quickly. "Look, Harry, we've apologized to Severus. We're on okay terms now."

"Good," Harry said. "Otherwise I would've dragged you here myself and made you." He remembered something else. "Was Dad always messing up his hair?"

Sirius and Remus laughed.

"Oh, yes," Remus said.

"I'd forgotten he used to do that," Sirius said affectionately.

Harry ran his hand through his own hair. "No wonder I can't tame this," he grumbled mutinously. "And Fred makes it worse."

"That's possible?" Sirius said, and Remus nudged him sharply.

"Yes," Harry said bracingly. "He ruffles it up like there's no tomorrow."

"And you let him," Remus said.

"N-no."

Both his parents raised an eyebrow.

"Shut up," Harry grumbled, and they laughed. "You know what, I'm just gonna go. O.W.L.s are coming up in... some time. Bye."

Still chuckling, Sirius and Remus bade him farewell and disappeared from the mirror.

It had been a pitiful excuse, that the O.W.L. exams were coming, but it was nonetheless true. Everyone was trying to cram in last-minute notes and spells. Harry had little time to hang out with Luna, but he and Fred, who was getting ready for N.E.W.T.s, sometimes sat together over the weekends and studied quietly, their anxieties tampered at least slightly by each other's presence.

Sometimes, they quizzed each other, and Fred, who surprised himself by remembering some of what Harry was struggling with, gave him some pointers.

"You can earn one bonus point for performing the Patronus Charm," Fred said.

"Really?" Harry looked up from his notes. "I'll take it."

"You'll do fine," said George, who didn't seem to mind being a third wheel in their study sessions. "It's me and Freddie here that I'm worried about."

"I'm not worried," Harry said.

"Good." Fred pointed his wand at Harry's books. "Now get back to work."

Harry stuck his tongue out but did as he was told.

I saw no reason for the twins to leave Hogwarts, no matter how awesome that scene was, so it didn't happen.

Also, because I wanted to try it out, I made a one-shot of Harry/George. You can find it in my HP short stories collection titled "A Love Meant to Be... Or Not?" (I'm aware I could've easily swapped out George for Fred, but I didn't.)