Year 1.3

Last updated: May 14, 2021

"Potter, Harry!" The Great Hall went silent at the name whisper broke out.

"Potter, did she say?"

"The Harry Potter?"

Everyone was craning to get a better view of the Boy-Who-Lived. Thankfully, the Sorting Hat was large enough to cover his eyes, shielding him from the others.

"Hmm," said a small voice in his ear. "Difficult. Very difficult. Plenty of courage, I see. Not a bad mind either. There's talent, A my goodness, yes- and a nice thirst to for knowledge... So where shall I put you?"

I don't know, Hufflepuff? It would be worth it just to see Ron's face.

The voice chuckled. "Interesting motive," it said. "Almost Slytherin-like. But I feel you would do best in- RAVENCLAW!"

Harry heard the hat shout the last word to the whole hall. He took off the hat and walked toward the Ravenclaw table. He noticed that he was getting the loudest cheer yet. The other houses, namely Gryffindor, were gaping at him.

"A Potter not in Gryffindor?"

"How is that possible?"

"We didn't get Potter?" the Weasley twins dramatically exclaimed, looking like they would start bawling their eyes out any second.

Harry rolled his eyes, though he was more amused by the twins' theatrics than annoyed. He watched as the remaining first years were sorted. Ron was put into Gryffindor, and as he went to sit down, he shot Harry a look of surprise.

Dumbledore gave a speech, ending it with a few random words that made Harry wonder what he was on, then food appeared on the tables.

Harry couldn't help but stare at the mass of food in front of him. Never had he seen so much at once, not even with Dudley as large as he was. He dug in eagerly, though he remembered his manners.

When Harry had went to join the Ravenclaws, they had all looked at him, hoping he would sit down next to them. Having no choice, he had picked the seat next to Penelope Clearwater. He had made a good choice; Penelope didn't hound him about his scar like several others did.

When the questions finally subsided, Harry took the time to observe his surroundings. His first view of Hogwarts left him in awe, but the interior was just as amazing. The ceiling, which apparently had been bewitched to look like the night sky, gave the feeling of relaxation and comfort.

Harry knew that there were many people casting furtive glances at him, but it was one particular one that drew his attention. Lifting his head toward the staff table, his green eyes locked with a pair of black ones. At the same time, he felt a sharp, hot pain shot across the scar on his forehead and winced slightly.

"Hey, Penelope," Harry said, "who are the professors?"

Penelope looked a bit surprised by his question but answered readily enough. "Well, for starters, the short one is the Ravenclaw Head of House, Professor Flitwick. He'll help in Charms. There's Madam Hooch, who will be teaching you how to ride a broom. That one is Professor Sprout, the Head of Hufflepuff. She teaches Herbology. Professor Sinistra teaches Astronomy. Professor Quirrell is the Defense Against the Dark Arts professor. Rubeus Hagrid is the gamekeeper. Don't be fooled by his size. He's a big softy. And that's Professor Snape, Head of Slytherin and potions professor."

"Okay, thank you."

So that was the Severus Snape that his mother had mentioned in her journal.

The headmaster was surprised, yet pleased. It seemed as if Harry Potter had inherited more than just Lily's eyes; she had passed down her intelligence. He had expected for Harry to be a Gryffindor like both his parents, but he was very intrigued to see how the upcoming years would play out.

Minerva McGonagall was battling with disappointment that Harry wasn't in her house and pride in knowing that he would make his parents proud, regardless of his Sorting.

Filius Flitwick especially had been excited when Harry was announced in his house. Oh, yes. He was very intrigued what young Potter would achieve.

Pomona Sprout was happy for Harry regardless of his house. She had adored both Lily and James- even with the latter's mischief- and wished for the very best for Harry.

The fourth Head of House, Severus Snape, was somewhat put off by everything. When Harry Potter has been called, he had expected the Hat to immediately say Gryffindor, much like it had announced Slytherin for Draco. Instead, the Hat had taken a few minutes before ultimately choosing Ravenclaw.

And his eyes... Merlin, Dumbledore was right about that; Potter did have Lily's eyes. He watched as Potter spoke to Clearwater, who seemed to be showing him which professor was which. When she was done, Potter glanced back up at Snape with a pensive expression on his face. Snape shifted slightly in his seat, feeling a bit unnerved by the small boy.

Penelope led the first years up to the dorm. "Each House has their own way of getting into the dorm," she explained. "What we have to do is answer a riddle."

On the door was a bronze knocker in the shape of an eagle. "I weigh nothing, but you can still see me. If you put me in a bucket, I make the bucket lighter. What am I?"

Penelope answered, "A hole."

The door opened, and the students filed in. The prefects explained where the first years were to sleep and who they would be rooming with, then dismissed them for bed. "Professor Flitwick will hand out schedules tomorrow morning. Good night."

Harry found himself rooming with Anthony Goldstein, Michael Corner, and Terry Boot. While they chattered away, Harry put up his belongings and got ready for bed.

I don't know if Penelope was a prefect in Harry's first year, but for the sake of familiarity, she is here

Not much difference here, mostly just changed Dumbledore's reaction to Harry's Sorting