Year 3.1*

Revised: June 17, 2021

——————————

"HARRY? HARRY, CAN YOU HEAR ME?"

Fred waited for a response, and when it came, it was much quieter but still perfectly clear. "Fred, there's no need to shout."

"ARE YOU SURE?" Fred shouted.

"If you want me to go deaf, then yes." Fred could picture him rubbing his ear and lowered his voice sheepishly.

"Sorry. Muggle phones are so weird."

Before Harry could reply, there was a scuffling sound, followed by a new voice. "Who is this?"

"Fred Weasley. I'm a student at Hogwarts."

Beside him, George winced, and it took Fred's brain a second too long to realize who he must have been talking to. "Wait, I —"

"THERE IS NO HARRY POTTER HERE!" Now the other person, Harry's uncle probably, was screaming. "I DON'T KNOW WHAT SCHOOL YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT! NEVER CONTACT ME AGAIN! DON'T YOU COME NEAR MY FAMILY!"

Fred heard the phone slam down, cutting off the connection. He slowly turned to George. "You think he heard me?" he tried to joke.

George clapped his hand over his face.

So much for being a piece of cake.

The twins didn't try to contact Harry again after that, leaving him bored and missing the wizarding world more than ever. Sometimes, when he was lying in bed, he'd find his mind straying to some of the more pleasant aspects of it. Levitating the feather for the first time, Fred teaching him how he bewitched the snowballs to hit someone, the dueling club, Fred and George deliberately mixing up their sweaters... They were such idiots, Harry thought fondly.

On the day of his birthday, a reporter on the television talking about an escaped convict caught his attention.

"... the public is warned that Black is armed and extremely dangerous. A special hot line has been set up, and any sighting of Black should be reported immediately."

"No need to tell us he's no good," snorted Uncle Vernon, staring over the top of his newspaper at the prisoner. "Look at the state of him, the filthy layabout! Look at his hair!"

He shot a nasty look sideways at Harry, but Harry barely registered it. He was staring at the gaunt man on the television, feeling like he had seen him from somewhere but not knowing what.

He was snapped out of his thoughts when Uncle Vernon mentioned Aunt Marge. Oh, how he hated her.

Harry had hoped that he could use Aunt Marge's visit to persuade Uncle Vernon to sign his permission form for Hogsmeade, but when she insulted his parents, he couldn't take it and ended up blowing her up.

Afterward, Harry had taken the Knight Bus — he regretted that immediately — and went into Diagon Alley. He caught sight of a new broom in the window, the Firebolt. He had to admit that it looked tempting. But since he had no interest for Quidditch, he moved on.

He ran into the Weasleys, who greeted him enthusiastically. Percy shook his hand as if he were speaking to the mayor. "Harry. How nice to see you. "

"Hello, Percy."

"I hope you're well?"

"Very well, thanks —"

"Harry!" said Fred, elbowing Percy out of the way and bowing deeply. Just the sight of him made Harry feel lighter. "Simply splendid to see you, old boy —"