IX

Returning to school turned out to be nicer than I thought. Of course everyone knew about my "adventure" in the mountains. While I was recovering at home I was in constant contact with my group on Messenger. I am referring of course to Elizabeth, Randal and Rayan. They didn't brood over me even though they were aware of how events in the mountains might have turned out. Elizabeth asked several times if I was sure I was sane, Randal asked if I had seen any ghosts in the cabin in the valley and Rayan...boy did not make any special comments. I think he was embarrassed by my behavior. No wonder he was embarrassed. I'm still ashamed of it, but I can't turn back time. After all, everything ended well. Well, almost everything. Apart from the fact that Kevin and I parted in an unpleasant atmosphere with the bonus of Aurelia's problems... apart from that, everything ended well. You can just laugh through your tears. Additionally, I made an appointment to meet with Desmont. I need to get rid of him from Hight Water as soon as possible to at least relieve myself of one problem and to fulfill the terms of the ultimatum that Apolonia gave me. I could only hope that she wouldn't tear my father to shreds when I saw him again. In the old days, people went on dates with chaperones. These were people who were supposed to make sure that no inappropriate things happened on dates, between the people who were meeting. Why am I mentioning this? Because Desmont and I could use just such a chaperone to make sure I didn't do anything stupid. Up until now, I thought I wasn't an impulsive person, but seeing Desmont put it in the simplest terms drives me crazy.

I walked out of school in the company of my pack of friends. They were talking about something, but I couldn't tell what. All the time I was thinking about what it would be like to meet my father. I was nervous about it because although I knew how to play the role of a son who wants to forgive his father, I didn't know how to do it. Suddenly, however, I noticed that walking down the hallway, Randal and Elizabeth were already walking a good few steps ahead of me. Rayan, on the other hand, was right next to them.

- Why did you move away from them? - I asked the boy.

- Because I look at you and I felt sorry for you. - He replied.

- You're funny. - sarcasm in conversation with the doberman, was becoming a sort of routine in my way of communicating with him.

- You were supposed to let me know if anything bad happened. - He said slowing his step. - Why didn't you ever say anything about your dad?

- For the same reason you never tell anyone about Abigail. - I replied, then realized that it sounded downright disastrous. So I quickly added. - What I meant was that I don't like to talk about things I have no control over. My father just disappeared, so I pushed him out of my mind. We never talk about my mom's wedding either after all.

- Sure, don't explain yourself. - He said rather encouragingly, for him.

- How is Abi doing? - I asked once we were dangerously close to the school's exit door.

- She asked about you recently. - He said after a moment's thought. - I told her you were in a house in the valley. She immediately asked about the ghosts.

- And what did you answer her? - I giggled lightly.

- That when you have some free time, you can tell her yourself. - The boy smiled at me, grabbing the handle of the school door and opening it.

Rayan let me pass in front which was immediately noticed by Elizabeth, who was standing outside the school with Randal. The girl sent me a meaningful smile, and I embarrassed myself. It was just letting me through the door, no big deal. I don't know why a girl would smile mockingly at me like that. My embarrassment quickly went away, however, when I noticed Desmont standing at the school gate, looking around left and right. I immediately became hot with nervousness. I cringed, which everyone noticed.