Hanahaki

What started as an innocent crush was now killing me... Those beautiful lilac petals were slowly killing me.

It all started a month ago when you started tutoring me. I had a couple of difficulties in some classes, nothing major but I wanted some help, I wanted an excuse to get closer to you. We met three times a week and we would spend time together, that is until a month ago... Makoto was getting closer to you.

When I saw you laughing with him, I felt my heart break... my chest tightened and that's when my love for you became deadly.

I watched you for the past weeks growing closer and closer to him, the symptoms of the love disease only getting worse. You were like the moon, everyone enjoys looking at you, but few have the chance to get close to you.

For you, Kyoko, who am I?

I managed to hide the symptoms until now, it was breakfast and I was stuck at the table. The others had started to believe I was starving myself since I had visibly lost a few pounds and almost looked like a ghost.

I was holding in the coughs, I knew this was an awful idea but I didn't care at this point if they found out... I'd have no choice but to confess... I wouldn't want to be a burden for Kyoko to carry and make her feel guilty for not truly loving me, after all, it's my fault. I caught feelings after all...

Though holding the coughs made me unable to eat, "Darling, you need to eat. You look like you're about to faint." Celestia said pushing a strand of hair out of my face, I never understood why she had taken such a gentle attitude towards me... maybe she saw herself with this eating disorder thing.

I looked down at my plate, I just needed to be alone...

"Y/N, you need to eat, we don't want you passing out and all..." Makoto said with a reassuring smile. Damn you, lucky boy, if you weren't so nice, I would have ended your existence by now... out of jealousy...

It was getting harder to hold it in, they all tried to make me eat without success.

"Y/N, you need to eat or I'll fucking force-feed you!" Mondo shouted glaring at me.

This was getting annoying, why the hell do they care so much... I just pulled my chair away and left unable to keep it in much longer, "Y/N, you can't leave, you haven't even touched your plate!? You need to eat to maintain a healthy body." Taka said walking over to me.

I tried to get away, but Mondo quickly grabbed my wrist, I needed to get away... it was only a matter of time until- "We won't let you die Y/N, we can't we're your fucking classmates! We're your second family, you have to eat."

"Do you really mean it-

I couldn't even finish talking that I was interrupted by a coughing fit, it was the worse one yet, probably from holding it in all this time, I could taste the blood and feel the petals leave my mouth.

"Y/N!? You're coughing blood... and petals!?" Sayaka said coming closer to me.

When it finally was done my legs felt like nothing, my body felt numb. Mondo laid me down on the floor, I was still slightly coughing, but soon I blacked out... After all this time.... it was inevitable.

Kyoko could only sit and watch... you had Hanahaki... how did she not notice during your sessions when you started coughing and head to the bathroom... how couldn't she have noticed all the flower petals in the trash can... how could she had noticed all the signs... she needed to find who had caused this...

"We need to bring Y/N to the infirmary... they aren't looking so good..." Hina said worried written all over her face.

While Mondo carried you to the nurse's office, Kyoko couldn't move... "Kiri? Are you okay? Don't you want to stay by-

She ignored Makoto and head to the nurse's office. When there wasn't anything new, they all left leaving Kyoko and Makoto alone with you.

*Timeskips*

The memories of what happened slowly came back, my lungs felt like they were burning up... I opened my eyes to be met with Kyoko... who looked deep in thoughts...

"Y/N you're up! We were so worried... Kiri, didn't you said you had questions for Y/N?" Makoto asked smiling.

I sat up, he called her... Kiri... this is it... I'm dead... they're together, she loves him, and he likes her... I'm done for.

Tears were forming in my eyes, but quickly enough I started coughing again, this time the petals were bigger, Kyoko placed her hand on my back, rubbing it. When I was done, I felt weak and fell on her shoulder. She didn't flinch or try to get me off her... which I was grateful for... at least she didn't despise me.

"Makoto, leave us alone." Kyoko's harsh tone sent shivers down both of our spines. I heard footsteps rushing out.

"How long have you kept this a secret..."

"A month."

"Why didn't you talk about it?"

"I didn't want to be a burden to everyone."

"Who caused this."

I stayed quiet. I knew she would figure it out, but I didn't dare to tell her after all only one person knew my crush and it was Aoi... we were playing truth or dare in my room one evening because I had trouble falling asleep and she asked me if I had a crush and I told the truth. Thanks to her discretion, it stayed a secret...

"Y/N, answer me who caused this?"

"I-I can't tell you... I can't...."

I held on tightly to her, I looked up to be met with a serious glare, which softened when she saw the tears falling on my cheeks. She quickly reached to dry them.

"I'll have to figure it out then."

She got up placing me back on the bed, I didn't want her to leave, "Wait... can you stay longer?"

"I'm afraid I can't... the more I spent time here, the closer you are to death. I can't let that happen."

I let my head fall on the pillow and cried, I cried all the tears I could, before falling asleep of exhaustion. When I woke up, Kyoko was sitting where she previously was.

"I talked to everyone."

"You *cough* did?"

She nodded.

"Hina told me you had a crush on me... did I caused this." I stayed quiet.

"So, I did."

Seeing as I didn't move, she took a seat on the bed. She raised my chin and made me look at her. "I'm sorry... I never meant to put this burden on you... I- shouldn't have caught feelings I'm-

I was interrupted when I felt her finger pressed on my lips. "Y/N... were you jealous of me and Makoto?"

I nodded feeling defeated, "Every time he was around you I just felt my chest grew tighter each time... when he called you Kiri I just...

A single tear fell on my cheek, which was quickly wiped away by Kyoko. "Y/N, I don't love Makoto the way I love you."

I looked at her confused about what she meant, seeing as I didn't understand she pressed her lips on my cheek, "Y/N, Makoto is a friend... I love you, not him."

I wasn't sure what made me cry, the fact that she liked me back or that I wasn't going to die. Tears streamed down my face, "Sorry...."

She kissed the top of my head, "No need to apologize, but next time if something's bothering you... don't keep it hidden, it might not end up like this."

"I won't..."

She wrapped her arms around you letting you cry. She was there... she loved you... that was all you needed to be happy.

A/N: I rewrote this like three times and I am not sure if I like it or not...

1310 words