Chapter 1

"It's Wynonna," Waverly said, her voice cracking over the phone.

"What about her?" Nicole replied, a flutter in her stomach hearing her ex-lover's voice after all this time.

"She came to visit. Now she's missing. I don't know what to do."

"Waves, I'm not some go to source when your sister wanders off."

"It's not like her."

Nicole snorted. "We're talking Wynonna."

"Please you've got to help. Crap, my battery's dying. Nicole I wouldn't ask only-"

The line went dead before Waverly could finish what she wanted to say, Nicole staring at her phone half-pleased, half-annoyed. Oh, so you know where I am when you need something, she thought, tapping her pen on the desk, hoping her phone might ring again so she could hear her voice. It didn't. Guess I'm useful to you now. Wasn't like that when you thought I was cramping your style. Nope, not getting involved. Whatever Wynonna has got herself into she can get herself out.

Nicole closed the file on her desk, ready to leave Mission's police station after another uneventful day. As sheriff she was used to dealing with a multitude of cases going nowhere in a small town where the only crimes were those of local family squabbles, or missing animals, or drunk driving, or the occasional cattle rustling. Her move to Mission was in part because of Waverly leaving Purgatory to pursue her studies elsewhere, in part because she no longer wanted to be reminded of what could have been. Wynonna begged her to stay after Waverly decided to venture to pastures new, telling her they needed someone with her skills and open-minded attitude to keep Purgatory from going to the dogs, or the werewolves, or vampires, or whatever happened upon the town.

If she had been completely honest with her friend she would have said everywhere in Purgatory reminded her of Waverly. The bar, the homestead, even the police station, everywhere had Waverly's scent, and without her there it was like walking through an empty house expecting the furniture to talk. Wynonna promised to visit, never did, and write, not her style, the friends losing contact. To now have Waverly ask for her help finding Wynonna was rich beyond words.

How long had they been apart? Four years, three months, like anyone's counting.

It had been Waverly's choice to split, desperate to follow her passion, securing a place at a prestigious university, the couple toyed with the idea of both relocating. Nicole made it clear she would follow Waverly anywhere, if it meant her realising her dream of being taken seriously as an academic. It so nearly worked, except for Nedley's untimely retirement due to failing health, Nicole suddenly faced with a choice of taking over as sheriff, or walking in Waverly's shadow.

As much as she wanted to support her girlfriend, she had her own career to consider. It was what she dreamed of since joining the force, the chance to lead, to be considered worthy of the position, to show others her ability to run her own team. Waverly was supportive, but had her own vision of what she wanted to achieve, a life free of the confines of Purgatory, where she could stamp her own mark on whatever she chose to pursue.

Nicole's phone buzzed as she entered the squad car. "Hi, sorry. I'm plugged in," Waverly said. "Can you come?"

"Where are you?"

"The research complex. I don't know who to turn to. I'm sorry, I wouldn't ask only you're my best hope of finding her."

"I doubt that."

Waverly's voice cracked again. "I know what you're thinking. Please."

"Waves, I can't just drop everything and come to where you are. Which is where, precisely?"