Chapter 23

The fantasy of turning up in a squad car outside the museum where Alex worked was short-lived, Nicole recognising less of a conspicuous presence would be needed if she was to stand any chance of getting her to open up. Finishing a call to her deputy she was out of the station, racing home to find Waverly still in the kitchen, surprised she was back so soon, agreeing immediately to accompany her in the hope of speaking to the one person who had been in a similar situation.

Driving south on Highway 11, crossing the border at Sumas, they snaked their way towards Seattle, arriving late afternoon with little more than half an hour before the museum closed. The woman in the ticket office smiled as they approached, Nicole asking whether they could speak with Alex as she purchased tickets, waiting as she called her extension. "Can't say I've seen her today, is she expecting you?"

Nicole glanced at Waverly. "We said we'd drop by if we were here."

"No reply," the woman said, putting down the receiver. "Could try the main hall. She might be taking one of the tours. Mind, she usually pops by here if she's in. You can leave a message if you like."

Nicole turned to Waverly, her voice low. "Should have called."

"We're here now," Waverly said. "And, have tickets."

The museum was quiet that time of day, a small group gathered around a woman in a red sweater in the far corner, the pair joining at the back listening to her talk, Nicole spotting the name badge at the same time as Waverly. Twenty minutes later they were still part of the group, wondering how much longer they had to wait to get Alex on her own.

"And this ends our tour," she said to the crowd before her. "If you have any questions I'll be happy to take them."

A round of applause the group dispersed, Nicole and Waverly waiting as an elderly couple chatted with Alex about one of the exhibits. When their turn came they stood before her, Waverly saying how much she enjoyed the tour. "There's a lot to Seattle," Alex replied. "It usually surprises those visiting the museum."

"We're kind of here for another reason," Waverly continued. "My partner contacted you about Egypt."

The smile on Alex's face fell. "I'm sorry, I've nothing to tell you."

About to leave, Nicole reached out with her hand. "I know this is unfair, but it would really help."

Alex's body froze. "I can't help you."

"Why?" Waverly asked. "I know what it was like."

Alex turned, pulling her arm from Nicole's grip. "You have no idea what it was like."

"Alex, please. I need answers. I'm being accused of something I didn't do."

Alex's gaze was on Waverly's face, a silence between them as she contemplated her options. "Come with me," she said after a few moments. "We don't have long."

They followed her to the café now empty of visitors, getting ready to close for the day, Alex guiding them to a table by the window. "We just need to know your story," Nicole began. "Something's going on and Waverly is being framed."

"Nice name," Alex replied, her expression softening a little. "Tell me yours first."

She listened as Waverly recounted the events, of Wynonna's disappearance and reappearance, of the stolen notes and passports, of the raid and the questioning, of her release and return to the States. "The investigators think I was involved," she said. "They think I masterminded the whole thing."

Alex reached for the salt cellar on the table, massaging it between her fingers, not meeting either of their eyes. "It's easier if they have someone who's not local."