Chapter 29

Impressed with Waverly's research, the new technique hit the spot perfectly. Twice in fact. Nicole took her time, listening and learning, letting the moment between them grow, lapping against her lover, knowing Waverly liked it slow, real slow to start, wanting to get it right, wanting to feel Waverly's body tremble under her guidance, wanting to get her to the top of that mountain, wanting her to release all the inner demons.

Desperate to remain in bed, the prospect of returning to the station where an afternoon of tedious paperwork awaited not a welcome one. She could have stayed there forever, watching the rise and fall of her lover's chest, running a finger along her lover's naked collarbone.

"So, so needed that," Waverly said, as they lay in each other's arms. "Maybe we put Costa Rica on hold for now."

"What made you change your mind?"

"You. This. You're right, I can't run forever. I need to act, not bury my head. Nicole!"

Nicole's wide grin earned her a tap on the arm. "Where did you find this Kevin technique?"

"Kivin method," Waverly corrected. "Oh, you know, stumbled across it while doing my research."

Nicole's laugh told her she had been rumbled. "Okay. As in, just came up while looking at Egyptian burial rituals."

"I may have widened my search criteria. Have we time for me to return the favour?"

Nicole snuggled in, pulling Waverly nearer. "I love your hair," burying her nose. "I don't want to go back. So want to stay here, forever, only here, nowhere else."

"Mission."

"Fuck no. Anywhere but here. No, here, in your arms. Like this. Doing that. So glad your research came across Kevin."

"Kivin. We'd starve."

"We could live on pizza deliveries."

"I'm thinking of returning to Chicago. You're right, I can't let my work go to waste. Plus, my department suggested I return before the end of the month."

"That's great. I'll need to finish here, sort everything out. Only a few weeks apart, at the most. Then, you, me and Kevin."

"And, you want to do this. Give up what you have here."

"Nope, changed my mind. Of course I do. This is right for both of us."

Waverly became silent, the words there, unable to say them, hoping Nicole would be able to guess what they might be in the absence of them coming from her own mouth.

Nicole's eyes were now closed, taking a moment to relax before heading out again. "So don't want to go," she said, eventually. "I can get pizza for later."

Waverly remained silent, her heart beating faster, the words almost there, almost ready to be spoken, her mind practising over and over.

"Don't want to, don't want to, must get up. Waverly Earp what are you doing to me?"

Before she could stop herself the words flew from her mouth. "Marry me."

Nicole's eyes opened, staring at Waverly. "Did you just?"

Waverly nodded, searching Nicole's face for some, any kind of acknowledgement. "I want forever."

Nicole sat up, a look of surprise to say the words had registered. "You're proposing."

"It's not how I imagined."

"You're proposing. You proposed."

"If you'll have me."