Chapter 30

Wynonna was on her way to hospital, remaining conscious until the ambulance arrived. She would survive, the stab wound not as serious as she feared, her ability to fight saving her from a more serious injury. That two men turned up at the apartment to scare her sister worried her more, knowing Waverly would have been terrified at the sight of a knife being wielded to make her talk, make her fear for her life. She had pretended to be her sister, that is until the knife came out, her fighting hands coming into play without a moment's hesitation. She landed a heavy blow to the jaw of one of the guys, about to turn and take on the second when she felt the sting of metal entering her side.

It didn't stop her giving chase as they made a retreat, getting as far as the stairs before the shock of being stabbed set in, her hand on her side to check, bringing it to her eyes, the palm now a crimson colour, doubling over as her brain registered the damage. Her hand shook as she returned Nicole's call, grateful she had her to turn to, knowing she would help, even if she was hundreds of miles away.

Nicole was on the phone to her deputy, telling him she had a family emergency, asking him to return to the station to cover while she worked out what to do. Waverly would insist she go to Chicago to be with her sister, Nicole worried if she went alone whoever attacked Wynonna might return to finish what they started. She couldn't let anything happen to Waverly, not now, not when their lives were finally becoming one. If she had to go alone she would, screw the job, screw the career. This was family.

Entering the house Waverly was at the computer, her back to Nicole. "Agent Dolls is lovely," she said, still typing. "History nerd. Wanted to do a PhD. He's sending me photos."

"Waves," Nicole said, trying to keep her voice calm.

"It's her. I'm looking up references to previous excavations. Thought you'd be back much later. Need to check a few sources. And no, it's not another position. So want to do you. Two minutes, I promise."

"It's Wynonna."

Waverly turned, catching Nicole's expression, the smile falling from her own face. "What's wrong?"

"She's okay."

"What's happened?"

"The apartment. Two guys. They were looking for you."

"Is she hurt? Nicole, please, is she okay?"

"It's not safe for you."

"Just tell me," Waverly yelled. "For God's sake, I'm not a child."

"Stab wound, to the side. She's at the hospital."

Shock replaced confusion, Waverly's whole body shaking. "I've got to go. I've got to..."

Nicole approached, desperate to hold her. "I'll book us flights. Waves, she's okay."

"No she's not. She's not. Why is this happening? Oh God, she could have died because of me."

Nicole's arms were outstretched. "She didn't."

She felt Waverly push her away. "I have to pack. I've got to get...she's all I have."

"I'll come with you."

Waverly stood motionless in the room, no longer knowing where she wanted to go. "You can't. Your job."

"I'm not letting you go on your own."

Waverly reached for the couch. "Why? Why?"

"I'll pack a few things for us."

"You can't go. You can't. And, I'm stuck here. I should have stayed in Chicago. I should have-"

Nicole knelt before her, taking her hands. "We do this together, okay. We go to Chicago, together. That's how it is from now on."