Chapter 16

Nicole contemplated Waverly's observation. "Did Robert say anything in the interview room?"

"They spoke in Arabic. There was one thing."

"What?" Nicole pressed.

"It's weird, he was genuinely surprised the investigators had a list from the tomb. Asked for a copy for his records."

Nicole's eyebrows lifted, equally confused. "Didn't Robert see all your site reports?"

"Why?"

"Only, if he'd read them, how did he not know what was in the tomb?"

Waverly thought for a moment. "He had copies, yes. He's been inside the tomb with me."

"So why take Waverly's notes?" Wynonna interrupted. "If he knew what was in there."

"Good point," Nicole replied. "Back to the red stone. Anyone ask you where it was?"

Waverly thought for another moment. "Rosita made a joke about women being better at keeping things hidden, or something."

"Did Perry ever ask you?"

"Once. If it was still in the tomb."

"What did you tell him?"

"I lied."

"Good girl," Wynonna said. "What about your Robert guy?"

"Nope. Actually, he seemed okay with me moving it. Honestly thought he would be angry."

"Where was the necklace?" Nicole asked, retrieving the water bottle from Wynonna.

"That's the other thing, I've not seen it before. It might have come from inside the burial chamber."

"Is it valuable?"

"Oh sure. Not as valuable as the stone, or the coins and cuffs."

"Which could explain why they left it in your room. Whoever's doing this knows what these things are worth. Except, it's like...I don't know...I could be wrong, it's like someone has a grudge against you."

Waverly's phone rang, her body tensing, looking at Nicole for guidance. "Let me answer," she said, taking it from her hand. "Who's this?"

"Rosita. Who's this?"

"Nicole. What's up?"

"Is Waverly with you?"

"No, why?"

There was a pause. "Only, Robert's looking for her. Is she okay? I heard about the arrest."

"Why does Robert want her?"

"He...he called the station to check on her, but they said she's been released."

"Why didn't he call himself?"

"He thought. If you see her tell her to call Robert."

"There's something about her too," Nicole said, ending the call. "Why was her mom coming out?"

"You mean Rosita's? Wanted to see Luxor, like Wynonna."

"I wanted to see you baby girl," Wynonna corrected. "I think Rosita's one of those annoying gals who think their looks get any guy."

"Married guy," Nicole added.

"I also think she's one of those who needs a man. Got your professor wrapped around her finger."

"Actually, you're wrong," Waverly remarked. "She's quite shy, keeps herself to herself. Perry told me her mom left when she was young, moved around till her pa remarried."