Chapter 4

Looking around the complex, she let out a second cry for help, as loud as her lungs would allow. No one. Not a single soul came to see why a woman was yelling outside the accommodation block. Well, that answers one question, she thought, as she returned to the room. Whoever took Wynonna must have known their actions would not be noticed, or heard. Whether or not Wynonna had been yelling, it seemed unlikely a single person would have come to her rescue.

Outside number fourteen once more she knocked, Waverly on the phone as she opened the door. "That's great, where? Oh, here. Okay."

Nicole perched on the edge of the bed, listening to the conversation, her beer from earlier untouched on the desk. Finishing the call Waverly began removing her top, Nicole's eyes remaining on her as she wriggled out of her shorts. "Who was that?"

"Essam, the officer who fancies you at the station."

Nicole rolled her eyes. "Not dating him, even if it helps get your sister back."

"I don't expect you to. You're mine anyway. I mean...he's found my passport. At least, he thinks he has. It's hard to understand exactly what he's found."

Nicole eyes remained on Waverly. "Just run that by me again."

"My passport."

"The other thing you said."

"About dating Essam?"

"Waves."

"I wouldn't expect you to date anyone just to get Wynonna back."

"Waves."

"What?"

"I'm here for Wynonna, that's all."

"I know. But, if they've found my passport, that's good news right?"

"Maybe. Where's Mr. Harvard?"

"So rude. Number eighteen."

"Oh, right. Only I thought. So, not here."

"I told you I wasn't. We're just friends."

"Seemed more than friendly in the dining hall."

Waverly removed her underwear, grabbing the used towel from the floor, Nicole taking her time to remove her gaze. "What if I was with him?"

"What if you were?"

"Do you know how long it's been?"

"Enlighten me."

Waverly huffed. "Wynonna was right."

"About what?" Nicole replied, now talking to a closed door of the bathroom. "What was she right about?"

The sound of running water told her Waverly was not going to reveal what the sisters discussed. Also, she knew Waverly well enough not to force her to say anything she was incapable of expressing voluntarily, deciding whatever was being held back would come out in time. The question was how long would all this take?

Five days was a long time to be missing, most successful cases where a person disappeared being cleared up within forty eight hours. Any longer and the likelihood of finding the person alive dropped significantly. It was hard to imagine someone like Wynonna not being around, worse the thought of her body being found, what it would do to Waverly. Sure, Wynonna was a friend, but only because she had been dating her sister. At least that was what she told herself, Wynonna a hard nut to crack, never one to let emotion get in the way of whiskey.

Waverly emerged from the bathroom toweling her hair, retrieving her underwear from the floor. "I know you're here for Wynonna."

"I came because you asked me."