Chapter 19

Nicole buried her head in her hands, finally looking up after allowing herself a few moments to take in Wynonna's stunt. "Only you. Seriously, only you would do something like that. And...and, you had the nerve to have a go at me about the envelope. For your information I'm not a lemon. You're the lemon for doing something that stupid."

"Sheikh Haught," Wynonna replied, "the red rock is off our hands, back where it belongs with all the other tiny tits from tombs. It was either stick it, or run around Cairo trying to find a place to hand it over."

"What if it's not found? Hey, didn't think of that did you."

"Actually, I did. Unless someone goes searching for it, that thing should be stuck there for a good few years. Enough time for all this to die down. At some point we'll let whoever wants it know where it is."

Nicole sighed. "Okay, okay, I agree, having it off our hands is good. Gum though. Seriously."

Wynonna grinned. "Why think complicated. If I'd left it to you we would have needed more sheets. Oh, oh, bandages, we could turn you into our very own mummy. Please, please."

"So childish."

"Says the lemon," Wynonna countered. "Oh, oh, I've got it. Sheikh lemon. No, lemon shake, even better."

"Wyn, stop being mean. Nicole ignore her."

"I do usually."

Several drinks later, a cab back to the hotel, a meal in its restaurant, they were ready for sleep, Wynonna foregoing her night on the town with the bartender, promising not to disturb the couple for the rest of the evening. Lying in bed Waverly snuggled into Nicole's body, drawing circular patterns on her bare stomach, at last able to breathe, forcing herself to forget the events of the past few days.

Nicole's thoughts were still on Wynonna's cheeky sticky stunt in the museum. It brought on a fit of giggles, making Waverly laugh too. "What's so funny?" she asked.

"Only your sister could do something that crazy. It's actually genius. Don't tell her I said that."

"She didn't even tell me she was doing it."

"Hopefully it's safe for now. And the package, providing it gets to its destination. That just leaves the envelope and note."

"What do we do with them?"

"If Wynonna was here she would eat them," Nicole replied, sending Waverly into another fit of laughter.

"Both of you are so mean to each other," Waverly said, hopping out of bed. "Where are they?"

"In my rucksack, front pocket. What are you doing?"

"Ripping them up. We can discard the pieces on our way to the airport."

"See, that's why I want to be with you."

Waverly stopped searching, turning to Nicole, her eyes filling. "I couldn't have done this without you."

Nicole sat up. "Together."

"I'll request leave from the university. Don't think I could face it right now. Come to Mission, if...is that okay?"

Nicole tapped her chin with her index finger. "Let me see, you'd need to help me find lost cats."

"Will you miss there?" Waverly said, finding the two items, starting the task of tearing them into smaller and smaller pieces.

"I need a change, somewhere different, somewhere I can be near you."

Waverly sat with her back to Nicole, continuing to rip the evidence to shreds. "If this hadn't happened we might not have."