Chapter 7

Waverly left the door open as Nicole entered, returning to the bed, her face still stained with tears shed for her sister, now mixed with those for Nicole. "It was never Britney, you know that."

"I know we've left it a long time."

"What's a few years between friends. I really am glad she's back and safe. And, I'm glad you thought to call me when you needed someone. It means a lot."

"Guess this is it. You go back to Mission."

"Were you really thinking of moving there?"

Waverly shrugged. "You'd never move to Chicago. One of us has to give."

"Who says I wouldn't move to Chicago. Climbing club remember."

"You'd hate it there."

"Then we find somewhere we both don't hate. It's a big world, there's got to be somewhere both of us can mildly tolerate."

"Your job. You worked hard to get where you are. I can't ask that of you."

Nicole took the beer bottle from Waverly, placing it on the desk, reaching for her hands. "When Nedley retired we were both in a different place in our lives. You needed this, I needed to prove I could do his job. And, we have. We've proved to everyone we can achieve what we set out to do. And now, I'm ready for us, wherever that might be." Another knock on the door had Nicole cursing out loud once more. "What? Seriously, what now?"

"Really need to change," Wynonna said. "You guys carry on, if I could just get my clothes."

"Part of me wishes we hadn't found her," Nicole whispered. "Fine, wait there."

Beer in hand, Wynonna joined the couple, the three drinking to her return long into the night. As the sun rose, the sisters were still talking, Nicole having closed her eyes briefly for a few minutes two hours previously. Waverly had hold of Wynonna's hand, unable to let go, still processing the fact her sister was back with her, alive and unharmed.

Nicole shifted on the bed. "She looks so adorable when she's sleeping," Waverly said.

Wynonna moved two fingers to her mouth, making a retching sound. "I'm way too sober for that kind of talk."

"She wants to move to Chicago."

"Then let her."

"It would mean giving up being sheriff."

"If she wants to let her. You know it's not about being sheriff, or moving to Chicago."

"How come?"

"That girl needs to be needed. She's crying out for someone she can take care of. And, it's you."

"I can take care of myself."

Wynonna raised her fourth beer. "Yep, totally. Let her love you the way she wants. Make her feel useful and she'll follow you with those puppy eyes anywhere."

"I can't ask her to give up her career for mine. That's not fair."

"Girl, all's fair in love and war, according to that spear shaking guy."

"It wasn't Shakespeare," Waverly corrected. "And, it shouldn't be a war. We can both win."

"She won't see it as a war, or a sacrifice if she comes willingly, which I so should not have said. Anyway, mummy bandages, you have any spare?"

"No, why?"

"Only, if you happen to find any lying around, just a few pieces I'll look after them for you."