Chapter 18

Nicole rolled out of bed, stretching her arms towards the ceiling, motioning for Waverly to join her in the bathroom. Door locked they made quick work of clothes, letting the shower run to mask the noises coming from inside. Their need for the other in the confined space, with a sleeping sister in the next room, intensifying every stroke, water cascading over bodies cool enough to reduce some of the heat between them, not enough to dampen their thirst for the other. Refreshed they emerged, Wynonna fast asleep, heading to breakfast, a handful of guests taking their time over coffee.

"I'll need to check out the Embassy later," Nicole said, tucking into a plate of ful medames, a typical Egyptian breakfast dish as old as the pharaohs. "Find the person we can give all the items to."

Waverly picked at her own helping of fava beans, lost in thought, no longer sure handing everything over to the Embassy was such a good idea. There was no telling where the items might end up, or if handing over the items anonymously would clear her of future repercussions. Essam had explained as best he could in broken English she was being released from police custody pending a full investigation. She was free to go for now, except she was still part of the case, a valuable witness to the contents in the antechamber, a possible suspect in their disappearance.

The investigators seemed more interested in her extensive knowledge of the items in the tomb, taking time to go through with her the list they had in their possession, checking and rechecking every piece. Wherever their list came from it wasn't hers, but it so easily could have been, pieced together from all her notes, an inventory of the tomb's treasures. The investigators had asked repeatedly if she knew of any other artifacts not listed, Waverly keeping quiet about the amulet, as did Robert, keeping quiet too about the coins and cuffs, knowing better than to give away information to those she wasn't sure were on her side.

"You okay?" Nicole asked, finishing her plate.

"A little tired that's all. Do you think there are safety deposit boxes here in the city?"

Nicole looked up. "Why?"

"It can all be traced back to me."

Nicole thought for a moment. "Fuck," she whispered. "Why didn't I think of that? I'm such an idiot."

"Not as big an idiot as me. It's just, whoever we give the amulet to they'll eventually work out where it came from. And, with the money and note, and the necklace it makes it look like I was involved."

Nicole remained silent, biting her lower lip. Waverly was right, whoever received the red stone could very easily trace it back to the tomb in Luxor, hence to the person excavating that tomb. The necklace, money and note were different, items not directly linked to Waverly, whereas the amulet had Waverly's fingerprints all over it, literally and metaphorically. If only they didn't have it in their possession, if only they could get rid of it without it being linked back to Waverly, if only, if only.

"What's wrong?" Waverly asked, picking up Nicole's pained expression.

Nicole let out a long sigh. "We have to split it, not link them to you. You're definitely sure you've never seen the necklace?"

"Pretty sure. I would have remembered something like that."

"Might it have come from your tomb, the part you hadn't yet excavated?"

Waverly shrugged. "I don't know. It's not something a queen would wear. Although, it may have had significance to the person buried."

"So, it may not even have come from ankle's tomb."

"It's hard to know without seeing the other items in the sarcophagus."

"Okay, let's assume it came from your tomb, you've never seen it, which means it wouldn't have been on the list, or in your notes. Not that it matters as I don't think you'll ever see them again."