Chapter 12

Waverly pressed her body into Nicole's, arms wrapping round her waist. "It's a lot to ask."

"We've spent four years apart doing our own thing. Think it's time we did things together."

"Thank you."

Nicole gently prised Waverly from her body. "We make this work. Providing your professor isn't involved in all this."

"That's what Wyn said. He can't be, can he?"

Wynonna sidled up. "Getting hungry girls. Why don't we hit the town, find somewhere to eat."

A meal in one of the street cafes, a stroll through Luxor, they returned to the complex as the sun was setting, Nicole looking forward to spending the night with Waverly, Wynonna heading to the other room. No sooner had the couple made themselves comfortable when there was a knock on the door, Nicole rolling her eyes. "She can't leave us alone. Wynonna, we're sleeping."

"It's Robert. I'm looking for Waverly."

The pair looked at each other, Waverly replying she would be out shortly, Robert suggesting they meet in the main research building. He was in his office when they entered, on the phone to someone, motioning for them to sit. Finishing his call he closed the door, a look of concern on his face. "The investigators want to interview you tomorrow at the police station. I'll go with you, as your interpreter."

Waverly glanced at Nicole. "Of course. Anything that will help."

"They seem to be under the impression you were somehow involved in the raid."

"I...I had nothing to do with it," Waverly stuttered. "How could I?"

"I insisted that was the case, but they believe only you would have known what to take."

"My notes. And, my laptop. You told them they went missing."

Robert nodded. "They think you still have them, hid them so the contents of the tomb would remain a secret known only to you."

"This is crazy," Nicole interrupted. "How? How could she possibly have done this? Answer me that."

"I agree, it's beyond absurd. The items taken from the tomb would need to be stored somewhere, unless someone helped."

"Like who?" Nicole pressed. "Like Waverly's involved with local tomb robbers. Get real."

Robert looked up from the papers on his desk, catching Nicole's eyes. "They are clutching at straws. We simply need to explain how none of this has anything to do with you."

Waverly stood outside the main building shaking. "I'm going to jail, I know it."

Nicole pulled her in close. "No, no, this is just part of the process. We'll go together, tomorrow. Robert will interpret for you, it'll be fine."

"Nicole, it won't. He's right, I am involved."

"You're not. You simply were the one who happened to be excavating the area the robbers broke into."

"If I hadn't taken it," Waverly whispered, glancing over her shoulder, "none of this would have happened."

"Taken what? You didn't did you?"

"I didn't have a choice. I knew how important it is. I should have handed it over immediately."

"Okay, okay, are you saying you have the thing?"

"I didn't know where to hide it. I thought if I brought it back here I could keep it safe."

"And, you still have it."