Names

Names have meanings.  One time, I thought it would be fun to search up the meanings of the names of the characters in the riordanverse and see of any made sense to their character!  This was fun.  Hope you guys find it interestingI didn't do everyone, just a few. 

-Karazorel257

Percy Jackson/Heroes of Olympus:

Perseus: In Greek, Perseus means to destroy.  However, this is ironic because Perseus is the only demigod to have a happy ending.  Percy, however, can be pretty destructive when he wants to be with his powers.  

Annabeth: Is a combination of two names, Anna and Elizabeth.  Therefore, Annabeth has two combined meanings.  It means full of grace and my God is an oath.  Athena gave Frederick Annabeth as a gift, a godly gift.  The graceful part doesn't make too much sense, but grace has many meanings that applies to Annabeth; courteous goodwill and a polite manner of behaving and do honor or credit to.  

Grover: means lives near a grove of trees which is perfect for the lord of the wild.  

Thalia: means to blossom in Greek.  Which is perfect for the girl who turns into a tree.  Thalia was also a muse on Olympus who was also a daughter of Zeus.  

Clarisse: means bright, shining, gentle, and famous.  Which makes no sense.  But people can change a lot from when they were young.  Maybe it's her potential.  

Tyson: means firebrand and high-spirited.  Two things that describe Tyson perfectly.  

Sally: means princess.  It's perfect.  Only, she's totally a queen.  

Paul: means small and humble in Latin.  Paul is the most humble person ever.  

William: means helmet or protection.  Will is a healer, so this is perfect for him.  

Nico: means people of victory in greek, which is weird since he's not a son of Nike.  It is derived from the name Nicholas.  I suppose it could fit him though, since he always shows up randomly with some weird plan to save the world, that's pretty victorious.  

Piper: means a flute player in English, but it is also a bird.  It is a perfect name for Piper's musical voice.  

Jason: is Greek for Healer.  I guess it could mean he helps to heal the rift between the Greeks and Romans?  And healing is the opposite of destroying, which is what Percy's name means, so that could be implying that they are, in fact, opposites of each other.  

Leo: is Latin, and it comes from the greek word that means, lion.  Fitting for a fire powered, dragon riding supreme commander.  

Hazel: this name comes from the Hazel tree, or the Hazel color.  Trees are gentle, yet stand firm and determined, just like Hazel.  

Frank: means free or truthful.  Frank was told the truth about his lifeline stick when he was young.  And he freed Hazel from her curse, and Thanatos from his bonds.  

Reyna: is a Spanish name that means queen.  Clearly Rick chose this one on purpose?  

Octavian: means eighth.  No idea about this one.  I thought it would mean Butt Head 

Gleeson: is an Irish surname which literally translates to green.  Perfect for a satyr.  

Rachel: means one with purity, which is good for an oracle I guess. 

Hylla: means paying hommage.  I'm not quite sure how this could apply to Hylla. 

Trials of Apollo:

Meg: technically, Meg's name is short for Margaret, which is a name of greek origin meaning pearl.  

Lavinia: this name literally means legendary mother of the roman people.  Though I do think Reyna acts more like a mom than Lavinia, that doesn't mean that Lavinia's awesome tap dancing skills won't become legendary.

Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard:

Magnus: is a latin name that means great.  He is pretty great.  The name also became popular with the norse people.  

Samirah: I found a lot of different possible meanings for this one, like; princess, she who is of pleasant company, lively in conversation, and good friend.  And as we learned in the books, her last name, Al-Abbas, means the lion.  Sam's name is just perfect for her.  

Alex: Alex is greek for man's defender or warrior.  Totally Alex.  

Halfborn: is really not an actual name.  I'm thinking it's his berserker name, and he prefers it over his real name.  

Mallory: means ill fortuned.  With Mallorys backstory, that's pretty true.  

Thomas: TJ's name means twin and leader.  The leader I could see from his civil war past, but does he have a secret twin?  Plot twist.  

Blitzen: means lightning.  For lightning fast expando ducks and electrifying fashion sense.  

Hearthstone: I'm thinking this is an elf name, considering a hearthstone is actually a literal flat stone in a hearth.  Maybe because he likes runestones?