The Link

Note: Okay, I know that this story will probably in no way be accurate to cannon empathy links, so don't expect that.  This is my own take on them and my own idea that I based off of Rick's cannon

Synopsis: Annabeth and Piper realize they have a rare connection.  

The first time Annabeth noticed something was off, was when she was eating lunch at the Jackson-Blofis household.  Little Estelle was playing in her highchair, and Percy was gulping down his chicken alfredo.  Suddenly, Annabeth had felt a stabbing pain on her right side.  

"Ow!  Gods, what the-"  Annabeth looked down to see if something had bumped into her.  Nothing.  

"Are you okay, Wisegirl?"  Percy looked up at her from his alfredo.  

"Ya, I just-"  Annabeth felt her side, it didn't hurt anymore.  "I guess it was nothing."  She frowned.  

For the rest of the day, her side was only slightly sore.  Did she bother an old battle wound that no longer showed on her skin, but was still not fully healed underneath?  She must have.  

Later that day, she was on her laptop giving Piper a video call from the Jacksons living room, and that's when they started noticing things.  

“The weirdest thing happened today,” Annabeth told Piper.  Piper’s usual smile faltered.  

“Are you alright, Beth?”  She asked.  

Annabeth smiled.  Piper was always looking out for her.  

“Ya, it's just, I was eating today and out of nowhere I got a pain in my side.  Weird, huh?”  

“Ya, that is weird.  I get it.  Some bullies at my school shoved me into the lockers right after lunch today, got this huge bruise there now, ugh.”  Piper huffed.  

They laughed and shrugged it off like any other day.  What a coincidence, they had said.  

Sometimes, in the following weeks, Annabeth would feel other supposedly random things.  She got a chill when she was out in the warm, afternoon sun.  She dreamt flashes of things that she had never seen, but felt as though she somehow had.  She would feel sudden, random emotions for no reason at all.  One time, she was helping Paul put little Estelle’s new crib together, when she suddenly fell ill for a few hours.  It went away just as quickly as it came, but it baffled Paul and Sally.  

One day, Annabeth had a flashback from Tartarus, and was feeling really sad.  Piper called her almost immediately after.  Annabeth opened her laptop.  

“Annabeth?  Are you alright?”  Piper looked sad as well, but concerned.  

“Umm, not really.  How'd you know that?”  Annabeth said.  

“Well, I guess I can't say.  I just- I felt like you were sad.”

“You felt like I was sad?”

“I know that sounds nuts, but I just had a feeling, like I had to call you and make sure you were okay.”

“I-I’m okay now.  Thanks, Piper.”  Annabeth smiled.  This was too much now for Annabeth to ignore.  

“Hey Piper, were you sick at all last week?”  Annabeth asked.  

“Ya, I was.  How’d you know that?”

“Because I got sick, completely out of nowhere.”

“What’s that got to do with me?”

“Have you been having weird dreams?  Or flashes?  Like, you're seeing through someone else's eyes for a minute, but then it goes away?”  Annabeth explained.