Chapter 1. Present Day

This story is set in an alternative cultivator world where the jianghu world of MoDaoZuShi has moved into the Twenty-First Century,  trying to balance traditional teachings and Sects with modern technology and modern living. The main towns in the original fiction are now major cities in the new era but the Sunshot Campaign never happened, so the Wen Clan are still going. :) 

Courtesy names have of course dropped out of fashion so Lan Wangji is going by Lan Zhan for example. But don't worry the name Wangji is used later. ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He's beautiful.

It's a thought that has spanned years, hardships and across the country, caressing every memory and fantasy. It's a thought that stops him in the middle of the afternoon catching sight of a stormy sky, one single streak of silver in the clouds reflecting grey eyes that see the heart of him. See him like no one else does.

Wei Ying.

The name that's carved in the deepest chamber of his heart. Emblazoned in the center of his soul and whispered like prayer, when standing is too hard, when the fights over and all there is hurt. 

Its there in sleepless lonely nights, trapped like an insect in amber.  For all that he is and for all the things he has experienced, there is no one more stunning than Wei Ying. Its a truth as vivid and powerful as the core revolving in his dantian, this man is everything.

It's the thought that strikes him now, as he stares down at the sleeping face that has haunted and carried him for thirteen years. Devotion to this man after all comes easily, as bewitched by him today as he was then, on a rooftop at midnight what felt like a lifetime ago.

 Devotion to this man after all comes easily, as bewitched by him today as he was then, on a rooftop at midnight what felt like a lifetime ago

He looks at the man now. Seeing the perfect curve of a strong jaw, his long elegant neck, mercury grey eyes closed in exhausted sleep. Warm, smooth skin...his eyebrows soft charcoal slashes and red, kiss bitten lips.

He's beautiful.

Dragging a hand through his hair, Lan Zhan looked beyond the bed. Red curtains shifted and swayed in the soft breeze from the open window, the grip of summer finally loosening on the world, the dragging humidity hovering like a threatening shadow.

The city of Yunmeng slept in these weary hours of night turning slowly to morning, but one visitor to the region, lay awake with worry and anticipation thrumming through him.

Lan Zhan kneels in the middle of the bed and watches the curtains flutter, enjoying the breeze that disrupted the too-warm stillness of Wei Ying's apartment. His hand smooths the same crease in the white bed sheet, attempting for the twentieth time to adjust it so it fully covers Wei Ying's cold feet.

A pale arm slid higher on the expanse of the sheets and gold eyes immediately flicked to the side as the lean body beside him, twisted on the mattress. Miles of bare skin exposed to the warm air of the bedroom, sinful curves and lean muscle, interrupted only by a pair loose thin lounge pants.