Chapter 25. June: Grey Eyes

Okay so we all know that Wei Wuxian has been a little distant in this fic. And we all know he's been waiting...

-----=======-----========-------------=========------=========------------------------

Time moved like dripping syrup and yet Lan Zhan felt more harried than ever.

Despite the friction with Wen Qing, she moved into place like with a shark's grace and speed. Whatever dignity or distance she might have spared before, judges as she was for being a Wen and for marrying Jiang Cheng - she spent freely enough, keeping Jiang Cheng in her sights as much as she could, with her job and his.

So far, she had managed admirably and recruited her brother and various former Wen. Jin Zixuan was trying to do the same thing, spending all of his free time near his wife, or at least made sure Wen Ning was with her, if he could not be.  Apparently, he had told the brothers that he was worried about the threats the Wen had made, but didn't want to irritate or worry Yanli. They apparently accepted this and moved ironically to help.

For a brief while Lan Zhan felt as though the situation could move forward smoothly.

The wedding anniversary of the Jiang Yanli and Jin Zixuan fell early in June, but it felt too close to the murder of her parents, she said for it to really be a celebration. Still, the Jiang brothers really tried and organized a small party on the waterfront and added some children's competitions and games for fun. Which was incredibly sweet and terribly sad at the same time.

Lan Zhan had planned to help with the preparation and then make himself scarce that afternoon. He wasn't family and would only be intruding. Plus, he had planned to update his network and begin the process of releasing the stored information to the authorities. He could now tie Wen Xu to more than one murder. If this was publicly leaked, there would have to be an investigation. While that was ongoing, he planned to have the financial data Figbird had amassed sorted into what they could publish and what they could feed to the right authorities and tax oversight.

But Wei Ying's mood was swinging between frenetic energy and a withdrawn state that prickling unease settling in Lan Zhan's heart

Before he knew it, he was organizing the decorating of the pavilion for gathering and opted for the kitchen to prepare the food with Granny Jiang, since Jiang Yanli was leaving work and coming straight here.

It was that or risk getting caught admiring that toned ass, as Wei Ying perched on a ladder hanging paper decorations, made by the youngest Jiang disciples.

And a limit on how many subtle photos he could capture of Baba Wei Ying with Sizhui and his youngest disciples, who trailed after him like ducklings.