Chapter 19. One Month Ago. June

Wow I'm late updating! Is anyone still reading this story?

We made it to Yunmeng!!!

------------------------------

Flying with healing bruised ribs and a broken leg was not something Lan Zhan could consider easy or enjoyable. Flying commercially, because your older brother flatly denied any chance of using his sword, was an additional humiliation and difficulty.

They have two tense nearly silent arguments before leaving for the airport and one inside the terminal.

Zhangxiong refuses any attempt to dissuade him from accompanying Lan Zhan, from the clan, the elders, their business or Lan Zhan himself. Every suggestion that hints that he should either let his injured little brother fly on his own, or hand him off to a disciple, is met with a cold look and insulted tones.

Mother said it was either Lan Xichen or she was coming with him, Jin Sect trying to kill be damned. Uncle, despite loathing Yunmeng and Wei Wuxian, actually offers to go with him. Something unfathomable, unwanted and rather sweet.

But when Lan Xichen digs his heels in, nothing can move him

But when Lan Xichen digs his heels in, nothing can move him. He is the jade mountain, the riptide of a flooding river.

They have another argument inside the terminal over who  was carrying the luggage. A qiankum pouch is all he needs but the airport banned them after several attacks a decade back. So he's left with his phone while Lan Xichen checks in the suitcases ignoring his protests, and carries all of the hand luggage, one on his shoulder and a the wheelie bag. And makes him keep the crutch.

Usually in a battle of wills they are evenly matched, but Lan Xichen bulldozes over any attempt he makes for independence and hands him his phone, like he's a pre-teen child needing a distraction.

  Mother calls and defuses the tension in a heartbeat, praising their closeness and obvious support of each other. Its a clever tactic because it works every time and Lan Xichen never looks smug. He just looks down and says, "We nearly lost him."

Lan Zhan lets him have the bags and choose the restaurant. He needs to get to Wei Ying. Everything else, leg included, he will live with.

While they are waiting for the flight, the enormous windows allowing him a clear view over the runway and the storm front clouds gathering above Caiyi , Lan Zhan caves. He's completed all his work, that which Lan Xichen has allowed him, he thinks somewhat grumpily. 

Zhangxiong is right next to him, answering business emails and queries from Gusu on his own phone. He smiles sweetly at Lan Zhan when he notices him looking and hands him his tea, a bottle of water and his meds, with a implacable and unmovable expression.

Lan Zhan looks at the collection and is moved to say, "Sleep."

Lan Xichen nods understanding and undeniably firm. "Drowsy or not, I'll take care of the bags and we won't be boarding for another hour. Take them. That leg is not set enough for the amount of walking you have needed to do."