Chapter 21. June: Force of Nature

So I'm a million years late for an update! :( This chapter has had many forms and even more endings. The consequences having too many ideas and competing dramas. So here it is: Nie Huaisang writing what he thinks might be his downfall.

Laoba means father. Like Dad I suppose.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

They say the most determined are the most dangerous because nothing deters them. Years can pass and still a flame burns.

Lan Xichen knows that he is in love with one who fits that description and best friends with his older brother. Who is as nervous as a groom before his wedding, trying to make sure in his own gruff impatient way, that everything is going well with his little brother. That this reunion is going to be another stone in the foundation of their reconciliation, not the biggest crack yet.

Which is why news of Nie Huaisang fighting shocks not only him, but Nie Mingjue as well.

Everything had been going well. Little Tiger was nervous and skittish but that was to be expected. He seemed so relieved when Lan Xichen arrived, his kiss frantic, his hands bruising. Not that Lan Xichen ever minded. His back was strong enough to carry Nie Huaisang, his arms would hold him, his heart would support him. 

But things had been okay for the first few days.

Now as he followed Mingjue, who had left the ones claiming Nie Huaisang had struck them, seething in his office, choosing to find his elusive brother instead. The memory of finding him near death was too close for them not be worried.

He should have paid more attention to Little Tiger, seen when he was close to snapping! Lan Xichen berated himself. All of these relatives and sect members who disliked him...it was too much and Lan Xichen should have seen that. Guilt coiled in his heart.

"He wouldn't just throw a punch!" Nie Mingjue said as they rounded another corner

"He wouldn't just throw a punch!" Nie Mingjue said as they rounded another corner. "Where is he?"

Lan Xichen's phone rang in his pocket and he hastily drew it out, relieved when he saw Huaisang's name. "He's calling me. Hello? Huaisang? Where are you?"

Nie Mingjue stopped in the corridor and shifted closer, "Where is he?"

Lan Xichen hesitated and put it on speaker. The sounds he was hearing where odd. A rustling?

"Maybe its in his pocket?" Nie Mingjue suggested. "Huaisang!" He barked hoping for a reaction.

Lan Xichen was pretty sure Nie Mingjue was half convinced this was sign of a kidnapping, a desperate worry in his brown eyes.

Then as clearly as if they were standing with him, they heard Meng Yao's voice. "Huaisang! Shit. You're bleeding! What happened?"

Lan Xichen looked at Nie Mingjue and both of them froze. Why was Meng Yao here? He had said he couldn't make it to the reunion...