Chapter 23. June: Feels Like A Dream

Wei Ying was not an early riser.

He hadn't been when they were teenagers in Gusu and that hadn't changed. For Sizhui, he was really trying and it was adorable.

For the last four days, Lan Zhan had woken at dawn to a blissful life beyond the scope of his wildest dreams. He was living with Wei Ying. In his home as his guest, freely able to witness the love of his life doing all the mundane domestic things that had cherished meaning simply because Wei Ying was...Wei Ying. And it was bliss. And a nightmare.

It was living in a dream and wishing to never wake. Lan Zhan thought as he looked out over the lakes and the grandeur of Lotus Pier in the distance. It was precious. Memories to hold in his heart and cradle in his hand when the world inevitably fell apart again.

It was joy, unfettered and pure.

It was walking barefoot on sharp rocks. 

Because he was here on a vacation that had an end date.

Because he was here to protect Wei Ying. From behind his back, which was so underhanded. With everything he does here in Yunmeng, each action has ulterior motives. Yes, ones to save Wei Ying's life, but still it was behind his back and no amount of justification would allow this to sit well in his heart. 

He couldn't keep this dreamlike life. It wasn't his to keep in the first place.

The masochistic part of himself fell easily into this world, where he just as easily found roles for himself to fulfill

The masochistic part of himself fell easily into this world, where he just as easily found roles for himself to fulfill. Like making breakfast and after a few careful questions, Sizhui's lunch for nursery.

His life in SCD and still as the Second of Gusu was busy, leaving him very little time for more than sleep, cultivation and meals with his brother, when he wasn't working. So taking this time to share these special moments with Wei Ying and A-Yuan was a balm to his battered, tired soul.

He often imagined what this might be like and the reality of watching Wei Ying stumble from his bedroom, grey eyes half open until his fourth cup of tea, hair a bird nest, every third word a mumble...too asleep to work out why there was tea in front of him....

Watching his longer hair fall along his neck, eyes barely open....