Chapter 7. October Meetings - 9 Months Ago

Lan Zhan's mother is now the actress Terma Tong!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

There was a child holding onto his leg.

An adorable child, possibly three or four years old,  in a pink polo shirt with a rabbit design on the front.

A pair of soulful eyes stare up at him and Lan Zhan is paralyzed. A pair of tiny hands grip the fabric of his dress pants tightly and he has no idea what to do, torn between panic that someone has lost their child and probably nearly mindless with terror... and fear that to do anything might cause the quiet tearful little one to begin loudly crying.

He had next to no experience with children. Even when he was one.

Frantically, he tried to think of what Brother might do in this situation.

The longer he tries to think of answer, the less he can move. If he moves, will he hurt the child? If he speaks will he frighten the child? If he calls Brother, could he speak? Should he risk calling Mother? Should he call Wei Ying?

In the lull, possibly realizing that he chose the worst 'safe' adult alive to help him, the little boy starts to cry and babble.

An iron will keeps his face calm, as he pulls out his phone. He's debating between calling Wei Ying who he knows is here in Yiling, considering they were supposed to meet in this shopping square in twenty minutes....or Brother who was in Lanling. Naturally, that's when he hears the first comments.

What kind of father just stands there when his child's crying like that?

Should be ashamed!

Can't even comfort his own baby?

Where's the mother? She's shouldn't have left the baby.

Then from the cacophony of judgments and complaints he hears that golden voice. "Ah Lan Zhan! Thank you for taking care of him!"

That voice captures his attention completely and Lan Zhan desperately scans the crowd for that precious face.

Bounding forward slipping between the staring people is Wei Ying.

In seconds, Wei Ying is right in front of him, coaxing the child let go of his leg and tugging him gently towards himself

In seconds, Wei Ying is right in front of him, coaxing the child let go of his leg and tugging him gently towards himself. The little one stares up at Wei Ying, giggles lightly and swings his hand in excitement, "Xian Ge Ge!" He babbles.

Its at this point that awareness beyond the fact that Wei Ying is in front of him, returns full force. He realizes that Wei Ying's hair is longer, that he's wearing the dark soft wool sweater that Lan Zhan sent him at New Years and a long red coat. He's holding his phone in one hand and a child's jacket under his arm.