Chapter 15. Three Months Ago-April

For FyreRayne, my truly incredible friend, who gave me modern Gusu.

Sorry for the long delay, work was hectic. Updates should be a little more regular now. I hope...

And how are there pictures of an Lan Xichen in modern Gusu?! With a sword!

---------------------------------------------

Xichen

The first day is a mess of tension and old grudges. For Lan Xichen, it is another nightmare made reality, a sick feeling of dread that he tries to disguise as best as he can. It is not in his nature to be unforgiving, but there are some hurts that never heal and there are some crimes that cannot be forgiven.

At eleven in the morning, four elders, Uncle and A-Zhan joined him in the security house, hidden in the trees near the edges of the Cloud Recesses

At eleven in the morning, four elders, Uncle and A-Zhan joined him in the security house, hidden in the trees near the edges of the Cloud Recesses. It is the one place in the Cloud Recesses where technology has been implemented, a concession to modern times.

He is hyper-aware of the seated Nie Huaisang and Wei Wuxian, who stands at the bank of screens with a laptop, a wall map of Gusu and a several talisman papers. He has a tablet in his other hand, tiredness in their eyes and determination in their manner.

They had stayed up late into the night and all morning he suspects, finishing the setup for their talisman array system and the corresponding tech. Right now they are vertical only thanks to coffee, which Lan Sect does not endorse even they have no rules against caffeine and sugar. After this, he is personally going to send them to their quarters to sleep.

The Elders shift behind them but A-Zhan is as still as a statue, watching the flood of students approach the gates one sect at a time. He wanted to be there on the gate, but Lan Xichen refused his request, respecting Uncle's need to take some control over this situation. That and he always understood Wei Wuxian's commentary.

Nie Huaisang is typing something, a rapid series of commands and Wei Wuxian lights up another talisman. "Ready." He declares quietly. His dark hair is tousled but his black turtleneck and grey pinstripe trousers are somehow immaculate, three silver rings glinting on his fingers.

Lan Xichen wants to move forward that extra step, wants to rest his hands on those thin shoulders, let his fingers stroke those perfect collarbones. Wants even more desperately, if he is honest with himself, to hold Nie Huaisang's hand.

He is letting the Wen Sect back into Gusu. His hands are tied and the government has tied them further. The other sects, many of them do not believe it was Wen who attacked them, or Lotus Pier. Their own rules for the freedom of teaching have bound them into this mess and now they must balance protection with their way of life.

He wants, but as he can do none of these things, he moves as casually as he can to stand directly behind his little tiger, arguably to see the screen and just absorb the comfort of having him here. Violet leaves and bergamot waft upwards and he bites back a sigh.