Chapter One

Claws poked at Droplet's wings, shaking her awake.

"Go away. I'm still tired." Droplet grumbled, rolling over and wrapping her wings around herself in an attempt to keep her annoying sister away.

Rainstorm shook her a few more times before letting up. Droplet sighed in relief and snuggled deeper into her soft bed of woven seaweed and cotton. Before she could sink back into the hazy world of sleep, sharp claws seized her ear.

"WAKE UP SLEEPY HEAD!" Rainstorm roared.

Droplet yelped and jumped up, flaring her wings. Her sister, Rainstorm, stood in front of her, watching her with dark blue eyes.

"What was that for?" Droplet asked, lying back down.

"Don't even think about going back to sleep." Rainstorm said, hauling her out of bed. "Emerald already left, and if I don't catch more food than him, I have to give him my sand dollar. But if I get more than him, he has to give me his conch shell." 

"Where do I come in?" Droplet asked, gazing longingly at her woven seaweed mattress, covered in blankets and feathers.

"We all have to hunt, so the deal is that if you win, we make you new paints, but if someone else wins, you make them a sculpture." Rainstorm said impatiently. "And I got stuck with the job of getting you out of bed. Come on. Let's go already." 

"Is the sun even up yet?" Droplet asked as her sister dragged her out of the room the three of them shared.

"Who cares? Emerald already has a head start because you slept in again." Rainstorm growled.

Droplet sighed. Her siblings were always making bets with each other. Sometimes, like this, they would rope her into them. Not that she'd mind making someone a carving. She loved making art, whether it was painting or carving sculptures out of wood or weaving bracelets.

The tunnel they were walking down split, and Rainstorm took the path to the right. The left branch led to the school that their mom and dad worked at. Tsunami, their mother, had helped create the school several years ago, and her three dragonets had been raised in it. Their room was separate from the main school, but still connected by a short tunnel. Tsunami and Riptide's room was connected to that passage. But there was also this tunnel, which led outside.

They passed the branch that led to an underground lake, and daylight soon filled the tunnel. Droplet breathed in the sunlight and closed her eyes.

"Ok, here's the deal." Rainstorm said, hauling Droplet into the air. "I claimed the river, and you get the woods." She flicked her tail at the dense forest at the base of the mountain. "Emerald took the lake. Meet at the prey center in an hour." She shoved a woven basket into Droplet's talons. "See you then." 

Droplet nodded and glided down to the forest at the base of Jade Mountain. Rainstorm veered off to the large river that was always full of fish.

It didn't take long to fill the basket with things she'd scavenged from the forest. Nuts, berries, wild herbs and vegetables. The RainWing and SilkWing students at Jade Mountain liked that kind of stuff. She spent the rest of the hour catching squirrels and mice and even a wild pig. Then she gathered up her haul and flew to the school cafeteria, where Emerald and Rainstorm were already waiting.

"There you are. Finally." Rainstorm said, flicking her tail. "Did you only get leaves?"

"The RainWings like forest stuff." Emerald said, thwacking Rainstorm with his tail. "And you have other stuff too, don't you, Droplet?"