Chapter Twelve

"Orca." Droplet whispered, hating the way her voice cracked. 

She had beaten the spell, hadn't she? She had figured out that her thoughts weren't her own, and she was free. But beneath the cold glare of the former SeaWing princess, all she wanted to do was crawl under her blanket and hide.

"Foolish dragonet." Orca hissed. "That spell was your savior. Do you not see all the ways I've helped you?"

"You brought me here." Droplet said. "You made me run away, and you guided me to this horrible place. I would never have left home, no matter what I'd done."

"True." Orca said, her tongue flicking out between her teeth. "That's why you really found my shrine. You were weak. Easy to manipulate. Just what I needed."

"I figured out that you were in my head." Droplet said, wishing she felt as brave as she hoped she sounded. From the way Orca was looking at her, she was fooling nobody.

"You did. I thought it would be longer than that. Long enough for me to get you on the throne." 

"Why? You're dead. You died." Droplet said, gazing up at the green dragon. "Why leave all these spells behind?"

Orca sighed. "I was a good dragon, you know. Ambitious, perhaps, but good. I imagine that after my failed attempt for the throne, my legacy was twisted into something awful. I was made into a villain, for only doing what every princess does."

"You also left that spell to kill off any heirs before they hatched." Droplet pointed out, but Orca ignored her.

"What most dragons didn't bother to remember is that I truly cared for my kingdom." Orca went on. "After my mother had stabbed me, while the life was bleeding out of me, I thought how awful it would be to leave the SeaWings, my tribe, with a queen like her. Weak. Powerless. Utterly unsuited to being queen of the SeaWings, the best tribe in Pyrrhia. So I cast my final spell, knowing I was too far gone to save myself. I used my last breaths to make sure the SeaWings would have a good queen."

"Me." Droplet whispered.

Orca shot her an annoyed look. "Don't flatter yourself. I took your mind. I would have ruled through you. My tribe would have been strong, would have been safe."

"But you failed." Droplet said, straightening. "I figured it out. You can't have me."

"Oh, I know that." Orca said, flicking her tail. "I only have minutes before this form fades and I'm only a memory. But can't you see? I've done enough already. I brought you here. I delivered you to the Talons of Power. I've been in your head; I know you won't leave the imprisoned dragons. And when the Talons discover you, they'll rule through you as surely as I would have. They'll make the SeaWings strong. Even with the help of my enchanted things, you'll never be enough on your own. I've won."

Droplet stared at Orca in horror. Was it true? Would she stay and try to save the poor dragonet she'd seen, especially if there were more? Yes, she had to. But would she make a mistake and be caught, and become a puppet of the Talons of Power?

"You're wrong. I won't." Droplet said, straightening up to gaze coolly at Orca. "I will rescue those dragons, and I won't get caught. You're gone. I'm free of you. You've lost."

Droplet thought her words were brave. She thought she was being tough and fearless, like Rainstorm. But Orca just laughed. She laughed and laughed and laughed, until the mist came back and swallowed her up. When it cleared, she was gone.