Chapter Four

Waves lapped over Droplet's claws, the steady coolness calming. Not for the first time, she wished she could live in the ocean, with the other SeaWings. She would be royalty there. Surrounded by dragons of her own tribe, not worrying about whether she said the right thing or if she had caught enough food for the students or if she should ask someone else to light the fire globes. Not stuck doing chores all day and arguing with her siblings. 

"Are they gone?" Rainstorm hissed, peeking out from behind Droplet.

Speaking of arguing with siblings...

"I don't see them." Emerald said, peeking out on the other side. 

"Why?" Droplet asked suspiciously. The winglets had left a little while ago to see the harbor at the edge of the kingdom of sea, one of the four trading centers with the dragons on the other continent.

Droplet remembered reading about the four harbors, one in each direction. They had been created with the use of an animus touched object, created by a NightWing called Darkstalker. A dragon named Moonwatcher, who visited Jade Mountain occasionally, had found a bracelet that let you control the land. The tribes had used it to raise rocks from the bottom of the sea and create dozens of islands between Pyrrhia and Pantala, so dragons could travel between the continents more easily. LeafWings had been in charge of speeding growth on the islands, and now they were all lush and created nice places to rest during a long flight.

"I wish we could go to Pantala." Droplet said with a sigh. "It must be so cool, in a whole new place."

"You haven't even been everywhere in Pyrrhia yet. Start with that." Emerald said, teasingly bumping her shoulder.

"We can start now." Rainstorm added. "I don't see them anymore. Let's go explore."

"We're grounded." Droplet reminded her.

"Whose fault is that?" Rainstorm asked.

"Um... yours. You tackled Emerald into the ocean and got us lost." Droplet pointed out.

"Yeah, it's my fault we got lost. But it's your fault we're grounded."

"That makes no sense." Droplet shook her head.

"Come on. I want to see the ruins of the summer palace." Rainstorm leapt into the air. "It's that way."

"Emerald. Tell her not to go." Droplet said, exasperated.

Her brother shrugged. "If no one knows, what's the harm? Besides, I kind of want to see it too. And wouldn't it be better if we go with her to keep her from too much trouble, than her going on her own?"

Droplet huffed. Those were all good points, but it still meant they'd have to disobey Tsunami. Droplet hated disappointing her mother. But... they were already in trouble. How much worse could it be?

And it was true that Rainstorm would probably go off with or without them. Droplet should be there to keep her from doing anything too irrational.

"Alright, fine, I'm coming." Droplet huffed, leaping into the air after her siblings. "Shouldn't we leave a note or something?"

"We'll be back before they realise we're gone." Emerald called over his shoulder.

"Not if we stay at this speed. Droplet, hurry up!" Rainstorm yelled from the front.

Droplet was still sore from the fly from Jade Mountain, and then from their trouble getting to the summer palace, and her muscles screamed as she forced her wings to beat faster. I already know this is a bad idea.

After what felt like hours, Rainstorm exclaimed, "There it is!" 

Droplet lifted to a higher air current to peer over Emerald. Ahead of them, rising out of the sea, was a huge island. Sheer cliffs surrounded it on all sides, and vegetation curled over the top.