Chapter Thirteen

Droplet watched the sun slowly make its way across the sky. It was nearly nightfall, and that was when she had promised herself she would make her move. 

The SandWing, Barb, still lounged on her large column in the middle of the courtyard. Around her, other dragons came and went. Droplet made mental notes of them, trying to get a sense of the numbers. 

It seemed clear to her that the SandWing, Barb, hoped to take over the ten tribes. And that she was going about doing it by gathering a willing dragon from each tribe to become the new ruler. Each of these dragons sat on one of the smaller columns of stone that surrounded the tall column Barb had claimed. 

Droplet caught herself mid-yawn and shook her head to clear it. She was used to getting more sleep than this, going to bed early. But today she had to stay up late, so she could sneak into the dungeons to free any dragons imprisoned there. 

She distracted herself by going over what she knew of the dragons Barb had recruited to become leaders of their tribes. 

HiveWing: Lemon 

IceWing: Frost 

LeafWing: Hawthorn 

MudWing: Copper 

NightWing: Fierceteeth 

RainWing: Chameleon 

SandWing: Barb 

SeaWing: None yet, and Droplet hoped it stayed that way. 

SilkWing: None 

SkyWing: Cinder 

So, I'm pretty much all that's between the SeaWings and these dragons. Droplet thought. I can't let them catch me, or they could have a way to take over the kingdom of sea as well as the other tribes. 

She watched the sun set beneath the tangle of trees that hid the sea from view. The sky was painted warm shades of pink and orange, the clouds outlined in colours so bright it hurt to look at them. 

Finally, after what felt like forever, Barb stretched out her wings and glided down from her column. The only other dragons in the courtyard were the SkyWing Cinder, and a young MudWing and NightWing, who were waiting on them. Plus the circle of guards who stood at posts all around the courtyard. 

Cinder lifted off her column and landed lightly beside Barb, her orange scales glowing in the orange and pink light. Barb flicked her tail at the two dragonets, who fell into step behind her and Cinder. As they left the courtyard, two guards moved to either side of them. 

It's like a mini kingdom. Droplet thought, watching from her spot crouched in the branches of a tree. A kingdom made up of dragons from every tribe. It would be amazing if they dragons weren't planning to take over Pyrrhia and Pantala. 

Droplet waited until she couldn't hear the thump of talon steps, then glided soundlessly from her tree. Her heart was beating so loud she was sure the guards all around the courtyard would hear it. But no one took any notice as she landed on the stones, her invisible talons silent as she crept towards the first guard. 

I can do this. I have to. She touched the necklace that hung around her neck, its weight comforting. She had turned it invisible with the wooden rod, which would hopefully help keep her protected even if she was discovered. But I won't be. I'm doing this, and I'm doing it right. 

Slowly, she pulled the dagger from the silver pouch strung around her neck. She extended it, claws shaking, towards the guard. With a gentle tap to the SandWing's pale yellow scales, the dragon let out a sigh and his eyes fluttered shut. Droplet moved forwards, catching him with her wings and laying his body gently on the ground. He was a lot bigger than her, but she managed. 

Droplet gazed down at his sleeping form, then carefully pulled a few leafy branches over his body. She didn't want to risk exposing the fact that she could turn invisible by spreading the invisibility to the guards. 

She allowed herself three deep breaths before moving onto the next guard. Within minutes, all of them lay slumbering, half concealed by bushes or rocks. 

This will buy me a little time. But I have to be quick. Droplet thought, rushing towards the trapdoor that led to the dungeons. She swapped the sleep dagger for the key, slipping it into the lock on the trapdoor. She held her breath, turned it, and heard a faint click. 

Yes. Okay, quietly now. She put the key back and quietly lifted the trapdoor. It creaked a bit and she froze, but no one came to investigate. Slowly, she eased the metal door open enough for her to slip inside. 

Droplet put the key back and looked around. She was in a short tunnel that led to a large cave. Torches were set into the wall at regular intervals, casting flickering light over the cave, which was empty except for a large round table that four guards sat around, eating a roasted cow. 

Droplet grabbed her dagger and moved towards the guards. There was no way to put them to sleep one at a time, so she'd have to be quick. Their tails and wings were the easiest targets, the places their armor didn't cover. 

She stepped between the LeafWing and SkyWing, and with a quick movement, brushed the dagger against both of their wings in one long slash. A drop of blood dripped from the LeafWing's wing, and Droplet winced. Oops. 

Before the NightWing and IceWing could react, she jumped across the table and touched the point of the dagger to the NightWing's snout, then leapt behind him and tapped the IceWing's tail. 

Breathing heavily, she glanced at the four guards, all collapsed against the table, sleeping soundly. Okay, step one complete. Now it's time to free the prisoners