Chapter Ten

Droplet was terrified. At home, Rainstorm and Emerald would tease her for being afraid of everything. Sharks, weapons, fire, snakes, storms. But she never had to be alone. She could always huddle under her parents' wings, distract herself by arguing with her siblings. Now it was just her. Alone on an island full of clearly dangerous dragons.

Everything inside of her wanted to leave, to dive into the ocean and swim all the way home.

Well, almost everything. There was still that weird little voice that insisted everything was fine, that this was what Droplet wanted, that she should show herself to these dragons and remove her invisibility.

Maybe you can even persuade them to free the captives, by trading one of your magic things. It suggested.

Please be quiet. Droplet thought fiercely. It was beginning to worry her, that her mind seemed to be thinking for itself. Which was what minds did. But grrrr, none of this made sense.

One thing was true though; Droplet couldn't leave the humans and dragons imprisoned here. Who knew if she'd ever be able to find this place again, and she just couldn't leave that poor little RainWing, and whoever else was trapped down there.

Why was it me who found this? Droplet wondered. I'm the scaredy cat. I'm the one who always hides while the big dragons deal with everything.

But I'm all that's here. Droplet reminded herself. I'm the only one who can save them.

Use the magic, Droplet. The voice told her.

Droplet frowned, opening her bag. She had found a quiet spot at the edge of the island, where a tree had fallen against a boulder, its branches creating a cave of space. Her seaweed bed was there, as well as her bag of magic things.

Droplet took them out and unrolled the scroll saying what they did. A large, black key carved to look like a tree branch was said to work on any lock. Which would be useful, if she really was going to free the dragons imprisoned here.

Then there was the invisibility rod, the looking glass, and the speed bracelet. A sapphire necklace was supposed to make her scales impossible to scratch or burn or freeze. Droplet slipped it on and turned it invisible for an extra precaution, but was not eager to test it.

A dagger that would put whoever its blade touched into a deep sleep for twelve hours. The scroll said it wouldn't work on its owner, but Droplet had still placed it carefully aside by the hilt. 

Last was a small pouch of silvery material was supposed to be fireproof and waterproof, and able to hold an infinite amount of items, so long as they fit inside the opening. Droplet put the dagger and key inside. The looking glass wouldn't fit. She was wearing the bracelet and necklace, and added the invisibility rod to the pouch after turning herself invisible again.

Feeling ready, she scrambled out of her makeshift home. I'm going to get some information. She decided. Once I know more, I'll come up with a plan. 

Droplet crept through the island, dodging dragons that were hunting or training or playing betting games. She wasn't sure exactly what she was looking for, but she listened carefully to everyone she passed.

It was in this way that she learnt that the leading SandWing was called Barb. She also learnt that Pyrrhia was south-west of the island, and that Pantala was north-east. And gatherings like the one she'd witnessed the day before took place once a week at midday.

But she didn't get much more information until she found her way back to the clearing, where the SandWing was perched lazily on her carved stone pillar. Guards stood around the clearing, fully armed and facing outwards.

"I know you'd like to kill the RainWing." The SandWing, Barb, was saying. "But I like my fun. I get that from my mother."

"You could still have your fun." The dragon speaking was a lime green RainWing, covered in so much treasure that the shine hurt Droplet's eyes. "But it's a RainWing. You know how I feel about them."

"I do." Barb said, sharpening her claws on a stone. "And one day soon, you'll be their king. You can do what you want then. Not one moment sooner."

The RainWing winced, but nodded, bowing. Droplet noticed that the column he was seated on was carved with the words Wings of Rain.

"Ugh, Chameleon, just go already." A NightWing complained from a different pillar. Droplet squinted and could just make out the words Wings of Night. "Find some fruit or something."

The green RainWing frowned. Droplet waited for his scales to ripple with annoyed colours, but they remained the exact same shade lime. Odd.

"Or, better yet, find me a SeaWing." Barb said. "Why is it so impossible to get my claws on an heir to their throne? It is so annoying that they have those ridiculous royal stripes." 

"None of the princes had dragonets until the statue was destroyed." A SkyWing said. "Now, I believe there are seven heirs, other than Coral's three daughters and the hybrids. We should act now, before they elect a new queen on their own."

"Yes, Cinder, we know." the NightWing said, but fell silent at a look from Barb.

"We need a SeaWing first." Barb said. "Perhaps one of Tsunami's daughters. They don't live in the ocean, so they'll be easier to grab."

"We also need a SilkWing. They're ridiculously content." Cinder, the SkyWing, said. "Though I suppose we could prioritize Pyrrhia. Pantala will follow once we have Pyrrhia." 

"I agree." Barb said before the NightWing could speak. "We must act now, while the SeaWings are vulnerable. Pantala we'll take soon enough. But all of the kingdoms will soon be in the power of the Talons." 

 "About time." The NightWing said. "I've been waiting long enough."

"Be quiet, Fierceteeth. Patience is important." Barb chided. She smiled, showing pointed teeth stained a grim reddish colour. "Though we must not wait much longer for our plans to be complete."