Chapter Six

Droplet couldn't breathe. She stared at the spot Orca had just been, feeling like the weight of the ocean had just fallen on her as the pieces came together. You have avenged my death. Orca was killed by Queen Coral in a royal challenge. Orca was an animus. Orca cast a spell that would let her come back and kill Coral, and Droplet had released it.

It's my fault. The words echoed in Droplet's head, impossible but true. I killed Queen Coral. I did. It was my fault.

Across the room, Kelp was explaining what he had seen with quick flashes of his scales. Moray turned her head towards him. That sounds like Orca. She flashed.

Tsunami swiveled her head around to stare at Moray. What?

The dragon he's describing. It sounds like Orca. She let out a wail, and wrapped her wings around herself, mumbling a stream of bubbles into the water.

A look of fury crossed Tsunami's face. She turned to the watching SeaWings and began giving orders, lighting up the royal patterns on her wings. SeaWings came and led Moray away, the poor dragon looking close to breaking. Others were sent to alert the SeaWings at the summer palace, and more still to send word to the dragons of Jade Mountain. 

Droplet watched the chaos as if from far away. It was my fault. My fault. My fault. The words echoed inside her head, consuming her. 

You need to get out of here. No one can know.

In the midst of the panic, a solution floated to the front of her mind. Run. Run away, before they realize what you've done. 

So she turned and fled down the tunnel. In all the chaos of coming and going dragons, flashing scales and bubbles, no one noticed her slipping away. The bracelet on her forearm lent her extra strength as she swam through the water. She made it back to the field trip island. It was empty. The Jade Mountain dragons were probably out hunting or touring other aspects of SeaWing life. Droplet was grateful.

She hurried to her temporary sleep spot and grabbed her bag. She messily rolled up her seaweed mat and stuffed it in the bag, along with the other items from Orca.

A sudden urge to hurl the cursed things in the ocean overtook her, but when she lifted a sapphire necklace, she found herself unwilling to release it.

The price was too high. The price for a few magic items was the death of my queen. But wouldn't it be worse if Droplet threw away the magic, making Coral's death for nothing?

She put the necklace back in the bag, along with the other animus touched items. The blue diamonds on her bracelet twinkled in the midday light, begging to run and swim and fly.

Droplet looked around. She couldn't stay here. Couldn't risk anyone finding out the truth of Queen Coral's death. That it had been all Droplet's fault.

Where could she go? Not anywhere in Pyrrhia, where dragons would recognise her and her mother could find her. Maybe in the distant kingdoms of Pantala, where Droplet had never been. Or maybe a remote island somewhere in the sea, or a quiet underwater reef.

Wherever she went, as long as it wasn't here, it would be ok. Her heart ached as she gathered her wings to fly. I'm sorry. Tsunami, Riptide, Emerald and Rainstorm. I'm so sorry. 

But you have to go, Droplet. There's no other choice. 

As she rose into the air, she tried to talk herself out of leaving. But she couldn't lose the love of the dragons closest to her. They would mourn her disappearance, probably be a little mad, but would still love her.

How could they love her if she stayed, if the truth about what happened was revealed? It's for the best. Droplet told herself. You killed the queen. You were stupid, and stupid is dangerous. It's for the best.

With a heavy heart, she turned her back to the distant shore of Pyrrhia and flapped her wings, flying out into the sea. Running from her mistakes, fleeing towards a new future.