Chapter Five

"That was close." Rainstorm said, squinting at the horizon. They had only just returned, and could already make out the shape of the Jade Mountain field trip winging towards the island. "You were a lot faster on the way back, Droplet."

"Yeah. Good thing, too." Emerald said, tucking into a raw fish garnished with some sort of lemon-kelp flavoring. Food had been put out for the dragons returning from visiting the harbor, and all three were hungry after their adventure in the ruined summer palace.

Droplet ate three large fish and a bowl of seaweed salad before she was satisfied. Then she wandered around the island, finding a stump of wood of the right size to carve. By the time Tsunami and the others had arrived back on the island, Droplet had created a rough carving of Emerald. She added final details while the students ate, and used a small pot of bright green paint she'd brought from Jade Mountain for the scales. Two dabs of black ink for the eyes, and it was done.

"Oh, that's beautiful." Droplet nearly jumped out of her scales. She turned to find a SeaWing she didn't know watching her. "Who is it for?"

"My brother." Droplet said, setting it down to dry.

"Ah." The SeaWing said, squinting at Droplet. "You know, one of her majesty's daughters was a very talented artist. We still have some of her pieces."

"Which daughter?" Droplet asked.

"Orca. She loved to make carvings and paintings. Of course, we destroyed her carvings with enchantments on them. Princess Anemone tested the others to make sure they were safe. We wouldn't want anything to threaten her majesty's rule." Something about the way she said that made Droplet shiver.

"Moray." Tsunami came bounding over, her gaze fixed on the SeaWing. She put a wing protectively over Droplet's back and gave the SeaWing a cold look. "What are you doing here?"

"I wished only to see your dragonets." The SeaWing said smoothly, standing. "I will go now."

"Yes, you will." Tsunami said, watching with narrowed eyes as the SeaWings propelled herself into the air and began slowly flying away.

"Who's that?" Droplet asked once the SeaWing was out of earshot.

"Moray. She's more loyal to my mother than anyone I've ever seen." Tsunami said. "I don't think she likes Coral's heirs very much. Not after Orca."

Droplet shivered. "Yeah."

"Anyways." Tsunami said, pulling her wing back and giving herself a little shake. "Mother has asked that I bring you and your siblings to the deep palace. She insists that you need to be around real SeaWing life as much as possible, since you live at Jade Mountain. So, despite your being grounded, we're going to the deep palace."

"Ok." Droplet said, fluttering her wings a little to dry off her Emerald carving.

"I'll go find your siblings." Tsunami said.

"Last I saw them, they were wrestling with a couple of LeafWings and SkyWings." Droplet called after her.

By the time Tsunami dragged Emerald and Rainstorm away from their game, Droplet's carving was dry.

"Here. From the bet." Droplet said, holding out the carving to Emerald.

"Cool. Thanks." Emerald smiled and took it, admiring the tiny details. 

"You made him look all snooty." Rainstorm commented, shooting the carving a glare.

"I think I look heroic and... stuff." Emerald said, walking over to his sleep mat and tucking the carving into his bag.