Chapter Sixteen

"What business does a royal SeaWing have sauntering around on my island?" Barb hissed. 

Droplet was trembling so hard, it was a wonder she could even respond. "I-I-I was running, and I f-found this place, a-and I th-thought maybe I could stay." 

"Well..." Barb mused. "A royal SeaWing dragonet happens to be exactly what I need. I think you'd have found me a lot more welcoming, little dragon, had you not just released dozens of hard-earned captives." 

It was the thought of all of those poor dragons, now dead or escaped, that gave Droplet the strength to say, "You have no right to keep dragons against their will. None at all." 

Barb then did the most terrifying thing Droplet had ever seen; she laughed. 

"She has some gut, at least." The SandWing purred. "How about this; you pledge yourself to me, and I give you the SeaWing throne. A good deal, hm?" 

"No." Droplet said, straightening. "I won't let you rule through me. That's my kingdom, and you will never have it." 

Barb laughed again. "It's cute that you think that, tiny thing. What's your name?" 

"Droplet." 

"Well, Droplet, I think you'll find that I can be very... persuasive, when you get to know me. Trust me when I say it, your stay here will be a lot nicer the more you cooperate." 

"I'm not joining you. I'm not helping you take over my home." Each word made her feel stronger, more like her mother or Rainstorm. Or me. I can be strong too. 

"Excuse me, I have something to say." The SkyWing Droplet had fought in the dungeons stepped forwards, sweeping into a bow. 

"Yes, go ahead." Barb frowned. 

The SkyWing pointed a razor-sharp claw at Droplet. "This one has magic. I don't know how, but when I attacked her, nothing was done to her scales. And she managed to knock out every one of the guards on her way in. And she unlocked all of the cells without a key." 

Barb's eyes narrowed. "Are you an animus?" 

"No!" Droplet squealed. "No, I just found some animus touched things, is all." 

Idiot. Why, why would I tell them that? 

"Search her." 

The SkyWing stepped forwards, reaching out. She seized the silvery bag around Droplet's neck, yanking it off none-too gently. She pulled it open, dumped out the contents. The dagger, the wooden rod, and the key fell down, landing on the ground for everyone to see. 

"What's this, Droplet?" 

Droplet didn't say anything, squeezing her wings closely around her body. 

Barb hummed. "I'll warn you, Droplet, that I have very little patience left for disobedience. And I will figure out what these things do, with or without your help." Her dark gaze turned to the guards. "Take her to the dungeons and chain her. I have her mess to deal with." 

The guards grabbed her, hauled her up. As they dragged her towards the dungeon entrance, she twisted her neck around, staring towards the dragon perched on the pillar. The clouds parted for a moment, and Barb was silhouetted against one of the moons. 

Bad. A truly bad dragon. And I've failed at my chance to stop her. Orca was right. 

As the guards shoved her into the tunnel, Droplet could have sworn she saw the glint of teeth as Barb smiled.