Chapter 22

The trial

"Punk. What do you need?"

"Sir I'm really sorry. Please don't tease me", Siam sob."So, what do you need?" the cleric sighed. This punk is not good at lying."I'm......I just wanted to talk to you", Siam said honestly, he was really is an honest child.

"Actually I'm a dark elf"

"Oh. I know"

"Gah........a half dark elf to be precise", Siam shyly added, observing Julius. The elder man remains impassive, he already knew anyway. "Actually, there is something in this tower that I really  need, so I followed your party here",Siam was nervous. He was afraid how Julius would react. "As long as it isn't the Panacea, then I don't mind listening to you", the cleric was blunt. His intention was obvious, as long as Siam did not harbor designs on the artifact, then he wouldn't mind hearing Siam's request.

"Its not the artifact. What I need is the water from Naiad's Spring Lake, I heard that the king of water spirits resides on the bottom part of Silica tower", Siam felt desperate. He was clinging to his last hope.

Unfortunately, even Julius isn't aware of the mysterious lake's location. He hasn't read the second book. "I'm sorry",Julius patted the porter. Even if he wanted to help; Naiad's Spring Lake itself is a mystery.

"Its alright. I know that the lake might as well be a fairytale", Siam laughs, his eyes brewing with tears. He already knew it was hopeless. But still......he wanted to believe. In their village, it was nothing but an old tale. About the majesctic beast that guards it and the beautiful nymphs that swam along the crystal clear lake.

All the children loves to hear about the tale of their ancestors' heroic feat, defeating the beast who drinks the lake, and the millennium promise of Naiad towards their kin. Even the water that comes from the lake was said to cure any type of corruption, it was a miraculous lake capable of bringing back a fallen person's mind back to sanity. However, in the end, everything was nothing but a fairytale.

Julius really wanted to console him, but even if he did, it would be nothing but a lip service. He still wouldn't be able to help Siam. "Anyway, I still hope I could find clues", Siam said, he was resolute.

[Siam]

"Huh? Sir, did you say anything?"

"I did not?", Julius observed his companion. Just now it seems that Siam really did hear something. He had a bad premonition.

[Brother..... Please help me......]

"Siac?!!!!"

The elf stops, his action had shaken even the cleric in his arms. Julius hit one of the dark trees, his head getting fuzzy after the impact. "Sh*t!",he cursed, nursing his swollen forehead. "Brat. Focus!!!! Don't listen to it!! It's a water nymph!!", Julius slap him, successfully awakening the dazed Siam.

"Sir I'm-"

"Don't listen to it. The nymph is copying someone close to you, don't get fooled", Julius was quick to react. Just now, the silent swamp began to bubble. In it's center, a female figure emerge. It was a pale skinned humanoid, its head covered in black thorns and moss. The faceless creature remained motionless, its mouth gurgling black water.

Siam shudder, there is an impending dread in the air the moment that thing appears. "Sir....what is that?", Siam asked in horror, it was the first time he had seen such a creature. "Don't make a fuss. Like I said, it is a water nymph. A dead water nymph to be exact", Julius frowns. He was cursing internally. To think the swamp would target his group, it was a bad sign. "Quick, get to the other side! That thing will swallow us if we remain here!", Siam immediately jumps, quickly leaping away from the creature.

"The swamp is a sentient being. It could posses any creature it had eaten. That water nymph must have been it's victim...it was using the corpse as a base to attack aything that passes by the swamp", Julius explains, he was purifying the area near them to erase their track. He could only hope that the rest of their party had already reach the land.

[Ling Chen.......I wanted to see you.......]

"F*CK you!!!", Julius cursed, he glared at the creature. As if incense, the creature began to move, following him and Siam. Siam was struggling, his stamina is already close to its limit. Julius began to heal him, the swamp's malice is beginning to affect the dark elf. That sh*t.....wait till I gain Hestia's artifact, I'll purify this swamp till you turn into spring water.

Two slender hands creep below them, it was trying to grab the people in the tree. "I'll put a barrier on us. So just focus on running", the cleric huffed, it was hard create a barrier and heal at the same time.

[Brother.....]

Even Julius could hear the voice, it was a little girl's voice. That thing keep on screaming, alternating from a child to an older woman. Siam began to cry, that thing is horrid. Not his beloved sister. Don't use Siac's voice!!!

[It wasn't a mistake...I did it for you...]

"F*CK off"

Julius was furious. He threw a bag of healing salves into that thing....until it shuts its mouth.

Don't remind me. I don't want to hear that voice ever again.......

____________________________________

Thanks for reading!!!!