Chapter 30

[Follow the maiden, human]

Ugh.....

Out of breath, Julius gags, enduring the surge of crippling pain in his head. The ritual succeeded so I must be inside the secret temple now, assessing his situation, the foggy surrounding blurs his eyesight, the things he can see were limited. Its like something was hindering him from seeing clearly.

The secret Temple looks exactly the same as the one they raided, albeit newer and well kept instead. This must be the original temple, before it became a part of the tower, details like this were usually skip by the novel, so Julius can only rely on his intuition to find the hidden tomb. As for that, the priestess will show him the way, he only needed to find the holy maiden.

Wandering over the foggy place, he stumbled across a room, it was clearer than the rest of the temple.

"Phythia, the high priestess is calling for you"

A black haired woman wearing a white ceremonial robe, a golden sun insignia hangs conspicuously on her shoulder appeared, approaching the person inside the room.Julius hides behind the stone pillar, afraid of being seen. It would be bad if a male was caught sneaking inside the sacred ground.

"........."

The young girl remained silent, continuing her prayer. She is bowing solemnly under the shining light, a golden hue accentuate her innocent features. "At least respond to me, stop acting so important", the woman snorted in annoyance. She still refused to accept that such a young sapling, whose identity is unknown gets recognized by the high priestess and was even accepted as the future high priestess.

That young girl must be the fallen priestess, Julius puts his focus on the young maiden. The novel merely mentioned the method in acquiring the key, the rest of the details were skipped. Tsk. Its annoying to follow an unknown trail, much less doing this trial lacking information.

"Are you a mute? Humph....the high priestess had become so old, her judgement must have rusted. Just go to her immediately, stop wasting my time", the woman berates the still silent girl. To her frustration, no words seems to waver the young girl, her dignified contenace showed her unfazed attitude.

"Sister Phythia, I'll escort you", suddenly, a little girl's voice talks behind his back, scaring Julius.

"You-"

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to-", lips trembling, Julius tries to salvage his situation. Getting thrown into jail was the lasting he wanted, especially being condemned as a pervert who sneaks into a holy ground.

"Stop bullying sister Phythia!!! You're just jealous of her. She is much talented and beautiful than you, of course the high priestess would chose her!!!", the little girl yell righteously, bravely scolding the woman. "This brat....",the woman scowled with indignance, these new recruits all lack an ounce of respect for their seniors.

"You brat!!! What are you-"

"I'll tell her holiness!!! You are being mean to sister Phythia!!", the girl did not back down, threatening the older woman instead. "You will regret this!", the woman screamed in frustration, stumping her feet as she left the scene.

Julius who almost died from his initial fright laughs dryly. Right, this is just a dream. They will not see me, sighing with relief, Julius approached the two without any worries. This will make his tailing easier.

Following the two, Julius entered a spacious hall, it was grander than the rest of the temple. Four statues of goddesses adorned the hall, the ceiling was wide open, enough to welcome the rich sunlights that illuminates the entire area. The pillars had phyton carvings on it, adding to the holy atmosphere of the hall.

"Phythia, come here"

An elderly woman wearing a ceremonial robe beckons the young girl, her face painted with golden dust. Phythia bowed politely, following the elderly woman to kneel in front of the massive statue of a man holding a living laurel. In its shoulder was a raven with sharp eyes, it was too life like, almost similar to an actual bird.

"It won't be long till I enter paradise. So tomorrow, when our beloved god smiles at us and showers his blessings, I want you to prepare yourself. You will be carrying the duty of being the head priestess"

The high priestess smiles at her successor with great joy, she seems to accept her fate with such gratitude. "Yes, Your Holiness", Phythia nodded, her face devoid of any expression. Behind them was the little girl who gleams in excitement, she is more happy than Phythia.

The two spends the rest of their day worshipping their god, aside from eating, the two never left the hall, continuing their devotion. "Little girl, you should be cleaning the sleeping quarters by now", a woman wearing the same robes entered the hall and gathered the protesting little girl. Despite her efforts, the older girl was stronger than her so she was removed from the praying hall against her will.

"It must be boring, watching me all day", Phythia commented.

"Not at all sister Phythia!!! I'll pray with you after I sneak!!"

"Not in my watch, you naughty girl", not learning her lesson, the little girl was forcibly drag away by her senior sister. Julius chuckled at the scene, it was a mystery why the temple even recruited such a willful little girl, her sisters must be experiencing headaches on daily basis.

It truly is an amusing sight. To think that the temple was such a peaceful place, how did it even fall into ruins?
____________________________________

Thanks for reading!!!