22 - Of Parties and Regrets

Senior Year:

"Oh, come on, Steph. Really?"

"Really!"

"No way."

"What? Why not?"

"Because."

"No, don't do that. Give me a reason."

"I... Um..."

"Exactly. You've got no reason against it. You just want to spend another night in watching anime or something."

"Well," I grumbled defensively, "what's wrong with that?"

Stephanie, from her spot on her belly laid across my bed, beamed at me, the look especially cheeky with her fingers laced under chin. "I'll tell you what's wrong with that. Our whole graduating class is going."

From my place at my desk, I looked over at her skeptically. "You want me to believe that our entire graduating class is going to a frat party? Even Benny?"

"Even Benny," she confirmed.

"Like I would fall for that. He's more of a homebody than I am. He wouldn't go to a dirty frat house unless you dragged him there."

"There'll be booze, so he's been convinced," she said. "That's really all it takes for him. Listen, if you really don't want to go, you don't have to. I just think it'll be fun and like, be a final fun thing for us to do as a class."

"I just find it hard to believe that self-respecting college kids would invite a bunch of high schoolers to a party."

"Ok, for one thing, they're not self-respecting. Secondly, they like cute girls, what can they say?"

"Uh huh," I said, returning my focus to my schoolwork, only to scowl when I realized I'd missed a step in my lab report. I immediately got to fixing it, while Steph got off my bed and stood, knowing she wasn't going to get any further on this topic from me right now.

"I just think it'll be fun," she said. "Give it some thought, anyway. And," she said conspiratorially now, making me roll my eyes in advance, "Nile will be there."

"That's nice."

"Don't you want to see him?"

"Not really."

"Oh, come on, you know you've been interested in knowing how he's doing!"

"Hardly," I muttered. "He's sweet on Marie, anyway."

"You say that, but he still asked you out, and you still went on a date with him."

"And it was awful," I reminded her. "He just talked about her the whole time. I don't know why I even said yes."

"Because he's handsome?"

"Absolutely not. He's not exactly my type." Thinking about it, I stuck my tongue out with disgust before adding, "and have you seen his sorry excuse for a beard?"

"They're not even together yet," Stephanie murmured, talking about Nile and another girl in our year, Marie. Everyone at the school knew how he felt about her... except her, of course. "Ah, well. If he's not your type, then who is? I think that one date might've been the only one you've gone on in the four years I've known you."

I almost had it in me to be offended. "So?"

"So," she said in a straightforward manner, "as your bestie, I have no idea how to help you. Don't you want a boyfriend?"

"Not particularly," I told her, returning my eyes to my lab report.

"Oh, come on," she sighed, plopping right back down on my bed, her plans for leaving clearly flying out the window. "Aren't you lonely?"