56 - Of Love Everlasting, Of Love Eternal

8:00 AM. Rise and Shine!

When the alarm went off, it didn't take long for Levi to unwind one arm from my waist to slam his hand against the button to turn it off. I immediately wished he would put his arm back because goosebumps rose up on my arms at the sudden chill.

"Levi," I said, and that was all that was needed for him to put it back. His hand slid across my stomach and tucked beneath my body to pull me closer, and I smiled. I needed only to say his name for him to know exactly what I wanted.

Was it just that he knew me so well, or was it that I had him trained?

I wasn't sure, but it didn't really matter, either.

We spent a few more quiet minutes together in bed, not speaking and not moving, only appreciating this time while we had it. But when he spoke my name and stated that we should start getting up, I turned my head towards the pillow further, pressing against it as though that would allow me to fall back asleep. A low, lazy but content groan passed through my lips, and I disentangled my legs from Levi's to stretch them out.

I'd coerced him into being the big spoon last night, and goodness was I glad that I did. That'd been the best night of sleep I'd gotten in a long, long time. There had been no tossing, no turning, no nightmares or anxious thoughts plaguing my sleep or keeping me from it, and it seemed that Levi slept well, too. 

With all the planning and re-planning and the stress of my father being in the hospital, it'd been a stressful few months and sleep was admittedly hard to come by. And before that, when Levi was away, well... that was another beast altogether. But last night... goodness, I slept like a baby. Curled up in Levi's arms, I was warm and comfortable and safe and had a restful, though perhaps dreamless, sleep.

No, wait.

I did dream last night.

And what a wonderful dream it was.

---

Memories of our lives together, once two distinct entities but now joined together in a way that was uniquely us, filled my brain as I flipped through page after page of a photo album, one of many that we had for we had lived such long, wonderful lives. 

It was our photo album, the one that catalogued the love story that spanned so many decades of life and love. Levi so hated taking pictures; he claimed he wasn't photogenic, that he felt awkward doing it, but in all my years I'd never met someone quite so accidentally picturesque without even trying.

And that shone through these old photos clearly.

I flipped through page after page, heading further and further down memory lane, my mind racing with memory after memory. I saw pictures of dates we went on when we were young and figuring out what it meant to love another person, our portraits from our wedding day, the photos we took on our honeymoon. 

I could remember each of the days attached to those photos so clearly, what we were doing, exactly where we were, snippets of conversations we might have had.

It was wonderful.

Then came pictures of our children, cute little mixes of Levi and myself, a daughter with his sharp, feline eyes and a son who was a sweetheart and with a gaze with all my usual softness. There were pictures of our adopted parents with their grandchildren, the beautiful kids we'd been blessed with but were now grown themselves. Mixed in with photos of us where our signs of aging were clear were our children's prom photos, graduation photos, the pictures we took when we dropped them off on their college campuses.

"What are you up to, brat?"

After all these years, never had he let up in using that nickname.