39 - In the Dead of Winter

Fall went by in a blink, and all remnants of the season were raked away just as the leaves were. Soon everything was blanketed in a layer of snow, soft and pure white, and it was still steadily coming down.

Goodness, the very first snow of the season was always so special.

The snow wasn't tainted by dirt or slush or salt - not yet - and instead it covered anything and everything left outside with a beautiful, shimmering blanket of white. From my spot inside the apartment looking out the window, it felt like maybe the entire world was covered with the stuff. Logically, I knew that wasn't correct, but that's what it seemed like.

Glittering snowflakes continued to fall, adding to the snowdrifts and I found myself standing there for much longer than I'd intended, just watching the snow fall. I was standing there for so long, in fact, that Levi came to seek me out.

I didn't hear him coming. His trained footfalls were silent on the carpeted floor, but I knew it could only be him when a set of familiar hands came to rest gently on my hips. His hands, warm and strong, tugged me back against his chest and I drew a deep breath in as I relaxed in his hold.

"Good morning," I said quietly.

"G'morning," he responded, his voice low and gravelly and husky and a million other wonderful things. But I suppose, if I had to narrow it down to one word... sexy. Yeah.

By some miracle, he'd still been in a deep sleep by the time I woke up. Maybe it was my body's sixth sense letting me know that the first snow was here, but I'd woken up and came out here so I wouldn't disturb him. And it'd worked, because it'd been nearly half an hour and he was only now getting out of bed.

Upon coming out here to the living room, I'd left all the lights off but opened the curtains to the large bay window all the way, letting the morning sun stream in. Because it was a strange instance of snow in which the sun was still visible and not at all covered by clouds. A rarer occurrence to be sure, but a welcome one.

Additionally, several floors up in an apartment building, I could watch the snow pile up and up and up and never would it reach our floor. I got to see the prettiest part: namely the snowflakes drifting past, illuminated by the sun's light and landing gently against the window frame.

There was a cup of tea in my hands, still warm from when I made it, and without him having to ask I lifted it up so he could see it and wordlessly offer him a sip. He took it in one hand that wound around me and lifted it towards his lips.

I watched as he took a slow sip. I took it back when he finished and with a content sigh, he set his chin against my shoulder. His fingers clasped across my stomach, and I returned my focus to the world just outside our window.

"It's pretty, isn't it?"

"Mm."

I laughed quietly through my nose, turning my head to look at him. With his chin atop my shoulder, his eyes weren't even open, and he seemed to be just relishing just holding me close for now. Not that I could blame him. On early mornings like this, I couldn't say there was a place I'd rather be than in his arms. Besides, he was so warm.

Well... maybe if I was still in bed in his arms, that would be better.

But this was pretty nice.

Besides, I usually had to ask Levi to hold me. For him to do it of his own volition... To be frank, it gave me the warm and fuzzies, the good kind. Ones that made me feel loved. Like I was the only other person on the planet. And in this snow, where down below the streets were all but completely barren and the city seemed to be devoid of life, maybe that was true.