51 - Room 301 (Part 2) - What We Find in Memories

There is something truly special about returning to places you've only been as a child.

It was like visiting your middle school when you're older. You're reminded of what was just as thoughts of what-could-have-been's fill your head. And you're reminded of who you used to be, how you used to act, who you used to be around all the time. Like all things and all parts of life, there would have been highs and lows here, and they'd come rushing back into your mind as flashes of memory. Reminders of what you'd done, what you'd said, how you acted, and what shaped you will flood into your brain.

Remembering fun times with friends, long exam days, getting the gym teacher out in dodgeball or when they would join your team, even getting in trouble for something stupid. Remembering your favorite teacher, your best subject, that teacher you hated, and the subject you couldn't stand. Remembering silly arguments with friends, getting teased for your acne or your glasses or your height, being told that you had so much potential, being told that you needed to start catching up.

Visiting a school, as an example, will be a good way to see where you've been and remind you of how far you've come, no matter how far into the future you returned.

It'll also remind you of the cringy shit you did.

But then again... if you don't cringe at what you remember, did you really grow as a person? Everyone is cringy in middle school. It's just how it goes. It's a rite of passage, even.

...

The example is getting out of hand.

As I was trying to get to, it's fun and oh so special to return to a place you used to frequent as a child. Your old stomping grounds, in a way. Such was the case of where I was now, and with Levi: we were walking the streets we used to run along when we sneaked out of the orphanage together, and what an experience it was.

After our dinner here in the city (which was lovely by the way),we decided to revisit the route we'd walk downtown as stupid kids with no money and looking for trouble, hand-in-hand and seeing it as something innocent. 

And now we were adults, probably still stupid but at least we had some money now, and we were still walking with our fingers interlocked, only now we realized what it was that our dumb little brains couldn't hope to fathom: we were meant to be together.

And at long last... we were. We were together, and what a beautiful thing it was. Goodness, had we really, at some point not too long ago, thought that holding hands and doing all that we had done left us only as best friends? It's what we programmed ourselves to think, anyway, but now I was so, so glad that we had found the courage to push through it and finally give in to what we both wanted all along.

Our love story was beautiful, and it was only just beginning.

Like Jack and Sally, Elizabeth and Will Turner, Jack and Diane, Han and Leia, Rose and Jack, Ilsa and Rick, Inuyasha and Kagome, Jim and Pam, Gomez and Morticia, Roger and Jessica, Carl and Ellie, Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy, Romeo and Juliet, Baby and Johnny, Sandy and Danny, Edward and Winry, Bonnie and Clyde.

Each love story beautifully unique, and unique in their beauty... But ours would be better.

We might be meant to be like Jack and Sally, and perhaps took much too long to figure out what we felt for each other like Jim and Pam. Maybe we'd live long, happy lives together and grow old like Carl and Ellie yet end in tragedy like their story and that of Romeo and Juliet. Perhaps our romance was a whirlwind filled with light and love and music and all the angst we could ask for like Sandy and Danny. Or maybe we were like Han and Leia, always teasing and bickering the other but know that only love lies beneath it all.